+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, File and Print Sharing Group Policy in Technical; Hi, in order to run our shutdown program from the server to all our computers every evening we need "File ...
    Thank Post

File and Print Sharing Group Policy

Hi, in order to run our shutdown program from the server to all our computers every evening we need "File and Printer Sharing" enabled on the client machines.I have enabled this through Group Policy.
    On the client machines Firewall setting exceptions "File and Print Sharing" is now listed twice, once for Group Policy which is ticked as an exception and another entry which is not ticked.This seems to override my Group Policy as sharing is switched off. Once I manually switch File sharing on,on the client machine my shut down program will then get through and switch the machine off. Have spent several days not getting very far!
    Any ideas why my group policy seems to be being ignored ?

Judy

Thank Post
    I'm having the same issue. Just wondering if you ever found a solution?

Thanks,
    Eric

Thank Post
    I know its an old (well OK very old thread to be more precise!) thread, but did anyone have a solution to this as its exactly the same problem here. Have Googled the issue and now set the option to allow Print and File Share through the firewall via GPO (server is 2008 and clients are W7) but no joy. I remoted in to a PC and manually changed the option to turn on File and Print Sharing and hey presto the shutdown client installed just fine. After I did the GPO change I did gpupdate /force on both server and client, rebooted client so it should have the new setting but think I need something else set to actually turn the option on not just allow it through the firewall. I have to do this for all PC's etc, so please, please, please dont tell me I have to visit each PC

Thank Post
    Well sorted that one out, for those with the same issue it was the next seeting down, to turn on the ICMP exceptions to allow the software to get a ping from the client, job sorted...next!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread