+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Network Down when I slept in :( in Technical; I slept in a little this morning and when i got in the network was down. I rebooted one of ...

Thank Post

Network Down when I slept in :(

I slept in a little this morning and when i got in the network was down.

I rebooted one of the servers last night which was the DC with DHCP on it and now it cannot see any of the other computers. The server boots okay, the others are working too. I am a little stumped, I am rebooting it for the second time after trying a few things.

only thing thats changed was I added a 08 server to the network which i removed this morning, it was running on a VPC which was off when i got in this morning.

Oh and also my security camera server was off saying that it shutdown due to overheating... its on of those days I think.

Thank Post
    Harsh.. hope it improves.

Let me get this right.. you cant ping from the DC with DHCP to any other computer or server? can the other servers ping anything? I assume your servers have static ips.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Have you checked to see whether DHCP services are running? What about the event log, does it give any clues?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    if you have a linux machine running, connect it to your network using cat5E, and see if you can find your server. When I have issues like this i use my linux laptop and as soon as it has found the server, i do a back up on the server to the last restore date and bobs your uncle it works.

Thank Post
    After rebooting twice I finally rebooted the switch cabinet and it popped back into life.

Couldn't ping in and out of the server. I had tried different net cables and sockets so there mucy have been something the switch didn't like. I ran etherreal which told me nothing really... just a users computer talking b******ks to the server.

Weird behaviour, think its only the second time its done it so reckon I need to check out the switch... think they are all managed.

Silly me didn;t think i would solve it so enabled another dhcp server.... now I have bad addresses left right and centre.

Another thing I did change was the DHCP lease time.... I ran out of leases for smoothwall and they wanted stupid money to increase my licenses so I changed it to 8 hours as we have boarders who are only on in the evening.

Thank Post
    Glad you sorted it out. We had a problem with one of the core switches here in that it a few of the ports stopped working, and eventually it stopped working altogether so we had to replace it. Dont know if your case is the same (i.e. switch slowly dying) but it may be worthwhile having a backup if you didnt already.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    After rebooting twice I finally rebooted the switch cabinet and it popped back into life.

Couldn't ping in and out of the server. I had tried different net cables and sockets so there mucy have been something the switch didn't like. I ran etherreal which told me nothing really... just a users computer talking b******ks to the server.

Weird behaviour, think its only the second time its done it so reckon I need to check out the switch... think they are all managed.

Silly me didn;t think i would solve it so enabled another dhcp server.... now I have bad addresses left right and centre.

Another thing I did change was the DHCP lease time.... I ran out of leases for smoothwall and they wanted stupid money to increase my licenses so I changed it to 8 hours as we have boarders who are only on in the evening.

that has happened to me before, it happened after there were power issues on our grid, either a spike or brown out.
    best get some UPS's or Power Surge Protectors at the very least to stop it happening again

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread