+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Underground ethernet cables between buildings in Technical; Hmm... How does all this fit in with the fact that all of our fire bell cables that connect huts ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm... How does all this fit in with the fact that all of our fire bell cables that connect huts to the fire system are copper on cateneries. this happens in about 3 places. And was done recently too IIRC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    not if you put it in ducting and leave a rope in there. Cheaper than that cherrypicker
    Ah yes but nowhere near as much fun as a cherrypicker

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's buried in the Building Regulations somewhere. I confess I have looked but have been unable to locate the exact section. Basically you are not allowed to connect buildings together with electrically conductive material. This obviously includes Cat6.

I think you will find that that is totally incorrect Geoff as I have just installed one, I checked with our Local Council for all the regulations and if I needed planning permission and they said it was perfectly fine.

I used Armored Cat5e buried 18 inches underground, works a treat.

Thank Post
    IMHO your best bet is a switch in the other building connecting to a fibre line that routes back to one of your switches in another building, at least if you want reliability. WiFi to connect two buildings sounds like it could end in tragedy.

But then surely the electricity that goes to my house, to the local power station is also physically connected to another building that connects to all the neighboring houses. Hmmmm. Isn't phone line also copper? I don't know!

Seems unlikely, but what do I know? I'm no legal expert.

At any rate, fibre will give you better bandwidth and reliability than wifi could ever achieve, and while you're at it, string a few through for redundancy measures, to save you digging it all up again.

That's the ideal solution if money is no object!

Thank Post

Ummgh, my two pence

Last time I came across this was when covering CCNA, one of the case studys was a school with extra buildings. For the CCNA it was a no, even though the buildings were under 100m apart. There was no network reason not to use CAT5 etc, I cant remember the reason not too and have always assumed it was either H&S or building regs, not checked it out though. Might send my nice man at the council an email to confirm though as we have 1 x external building thats joined with CAT5.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    But then surely the electricity that goes to my house, to the local power station is also physically connected to another building that connects to all the neighboring houses. Hmmmm. Isn't phone line also copper? I don't know!

Seems unlikely, but what do I know? I'm no legal expert.
    The phone system has its own closed loop power system which will not ground out making this a safe setup.

It is perfectly possible to mave copper between the buildings but it is asking for trouble if the buildings do not have a common earth. Ethernet cable can already have a potential difference of around 40V with a standard setup if you have copper links between two seporatly grounded building these can get much higher. This runs the risk of in the short term tripping out the switches making them unstable or long term burning out the ports/cable if there is enough discharge through them.

The bell system is also likely to run on its own DC closed loop system removing the grounding problem, the gague of the cable used is also much higher so extra charge is less likely to cause damage.

The main reason to use fiber is to electrically isolate the equipment. This can limit damage in the case of lightning strikes or power anomilies. It is also less error prone.

If you have the conduit already there get them to use the busted copper links as a pull through for a fibre. Wireless is really a second best solution which is only usually considered if laying fibre is to expencive because of digging. In the long run fibre is much more robust and much more expandable as a single mode pair can easily carry 1,10 or even 147gbits/s worth of traffic as apposed to spending vast ammounts to get a link that actually runs at a stable 1gbs/s wirelessly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartWhite View Post
    Sounds great,

If you get to do it please post some pictures so we can all have a laugh

Rgrds
    Stu
    Keep your eyes peeled when you are in your 2:30 - 4 meeting tomorrow around the campus and though shalt find some excitment if that stuff floats your boat Certainly doesn't float mine I want rid of it and are working on it but things take time and planning

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    We have a fibre cable at our school between our two buildings - no problems at all. It was supposed to be installed underground, but the school decided not to do it as it would be too expensive to fix if it broke.
    Another vote for fibre here - though we did have a couple of problems -

When we had diggers on site doing some building work - one caught the buried line and just kept lifting - its quite amazing how far it stretched before it snapped it pulled all the fitments off the wall 50m away where the cable ran up the inside of a wall too!

Later the kids dug it up and cut it with some shears - which was a pain to have repaired!

Apart from that - top notch!

TYO

Thank Post
    we are looking at commising two underground fibres, anyone got any recommendations on who to use? or who not to?

Thank Post
    i started a thread on this very subject a few months ago and got back some very different opinions.

since then iv had the schools electrician involved and the LEA fire officer and i have been told its fine to put in external grade cat 6 in some conduit underground to connect the two buildings together, we are going to use a trench that is being dug by the fire alarm company that is also connecting the existing fire alarm to the other building.

now im not saying that im right and other people are wrong its just that there does seem to be alot of differing opinions on this matter.

to be honest id love to get this one clarified once and for all.

Thank Post
    We have two fibre optic cables linking up two of our buildings. works great

Thank Post
    Well we got the cables replaced today. Guy traced the cables, pulled them out from underground and back to the cabinet. Cuts the 3 cables, right time to terminate the new cable...

Hang on, wait a minute... Why has 3 of the lights on the core switch just gone out? Oh feck!...

He'd managed to cut 3 of the fibres which form the backbone of our network, taking half the school down.

Shat happens

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12