+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless 802.11N worth the investment? in Technical; We are in the middle of specing out a whole new wireless network. I've gone through all the site surveys ...

Thank Post

Wireless 802.11N worth the investment?

We are in the middle of specing out a whole new wireless network.

I've gone through all the site surveys etc and I'm down to evaluatating quotes. Last night I recieved a new one trying to sweeten there previous deal by including 802.11N for a discounted price. (But still makes their previous quote more.)

We're a laptop school who right now doesn't have many laptops that use N.

But are we at the point where 802.11n is a required feature for any new wireless network? Or are we still far enough away that we can save for the upgrade in the future when we can take full advantage of it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sreiach View Post
    But are we at the point where 802.11n is a required feature for any new wireless network?
    Are we talking about a managed wireless system here, designed for many users at a time? I'd concentrate on getting the vendors to tell you how the wireless points provide high coverage without interfering with each other. It's often done by varying the power output of each individual access point - have a rummage around the forum here, we've discussed it several times before. I'd get the vendor to explain why Wireless-N would be an advantage.

Hey, if you need further help, I can always come and see you, just pay travel costs...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I think you definitely want is a commitment that the system can do wireless n in the future by just a firmware or software upgrade.

Many laptops you buy today come with 802.11n and it does have benefits so you will want to use it before long. What you don't want to have to do is rip it all out and start again!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    What I think you definitely want is a commitment that the system can do wireless n in the future by just a firmware or software upgrade.

Many laptops you buy today come with 802.11n and it does have benefits so you will want to use it before long. What you don't want to have to do is rip it all out and start again!
    I completely agree with srochford. You want to make sure that the kit is capable of doing N at some point in future and this is not just the controllder but the APs as well if its possible. This will protect you investment and will allow you to migrate to N when it comes out and when you are ready deploy it.

Ash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread