+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, New Core Switch in Technical; We're getting a new server room next year along with a new core switch. I'm looking for recommendations for a ...

Thank Post

New Core Switch

We're getting a new server room next year along with a new core switch. I'm looking for recommendations for a core switch.

I'm currently looking at the HP 5412zl, anyone got one? any good?

I would have liked to stay with 3Com (as the rest of our network is ALL 3com) however we've recently had a switch fail which;

• was replaced with a faulty switch
    • which was replaced with a switch that didn't boot
    • which was replaced with a switch that had a broken warranty seal
    • which got replaced and we finally have a working switch again

This process took 6 weeks and I just can't imagine being without a core switch for 6 weeks.

Thanks for any comments.

Thank Post
    I havn't used that particular switch, but I can throughly recommend HP switches in general. They are very reliable and if you do get a problem their warranty is excellent and they are good value for money. My last school had exclusively HP switches (apart from a few netgears that were clinging on in the dark depths of a couple of the cabinets) and the reliability of the system was outstanding. In 2 years I only had a couple of fibre modules fail and they were replaced by HP and delivered the next day, even though they were about 5yrs old (lifetime warranty really does mean lifetime!)

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have one of the 5406zl's (the 6 slot version of the 5412zl) and it is rock solid. Has a excellent featureset, and excellent warranty (although, touch wood we've never needed it).

Also, it has an excellent selection of modules, ranging from GBIC modules, to 10GB fibre modules, to PoE copper modules and even wireless controllers.

Thank Post
    Another vote for HP switches in general, its all we use in our network now, very reliable, only ever had one fail and that was down to a lightening damage which took out a few things in the same room

Thank Post
    Looking at replacing our core switch with a HP 5412zl, currently have a 4108gl which is getting abit long winded. Use HP here for all our switches and have ever really had any major issues with them, value for money and warrenty is excellent. I did here a rumour from one of our suppliers that the 5400 is due to be replaced in the new year but i'm not sure how true that is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Looking at replacing our core switch with a HP 5412zl, currently have a 4108gl which is getting abit long winded. Use HP here for all our switches and have ever really had any major issues with them, value for money and warrenty is excellent. I did here a rumour from one of our suppliers that the 5400 is due to be replaced in the new year but i'm not sure how true that is.
    The 54xx series switches are getting on a bit now, we have one in my current school thats been here about 3 or 4 years so I understand. However, they are still good switches, I brought one as a core switch about 6 months ago at my previous school as it suited the requirements of the school. At the end of the day it it fits the requirements then there's no reason not to go for it, as the adapters and modules will be available for a good long time yet even if they do discontinue the switchs themselves.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I've got a couple of 5412s and I like them very much, even have the 10Gb modules and wireless controller.

The only thing I don't really like is procurve manager (although it works, mostly), but thats about it.

You can do all sorts of interesting things with the 5400s, ACLs between vlans is a particular favourite of mine (until I forget that they are in place and wonder why I can't connect to something ).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    The 54xx series switches are getting on a bit now, we have one in my current school thats been here about 3 or 4 years so I understand. However, they are still good switches, I brought one as a core switch about 6 months ago at my previous school as it suited the requirements of the school. At the end of the day it it fits the requirements then there's no reason not to go for it, as the adapters and modules will be available for a good long time yet even if they do discontinue the switchs themselves.

Mike.
    Erm, you mean the 41xx are getting on a bit? I had to wait for modules to be release when I was pricing our 5400 a couple of years ago.

And they can't be that old as I wouldn't have a spare 5300 they replaced

Edit: Although yes, 2 years is probably due for renewal, but then everything always is.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 14th October 2008 at 11:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Erm, you mean the 41xx are getting on a bit? I had to wait for modules to be release when I was pricing our 5400 a couple of years ago.

And they can't be that old as I wouldn't have a spare 5300 they replaced
    No, definitely mean the 54xx series switches, the 41xx are even older and now dis-continued I believe. I know the 5408 switch we have must have been here more than 3 yrs, as it's still got an IP number on the old IP range, and KCN changed the IP range for the school in August 2005. I don't know how long before this they were around, and I expect they will continue to make them for a good while longer, as I believe the 41xx series switches were in production for about 7 or 8 years or longer.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 14th October 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Thank Post
    We'll settle on 2 1/2 Years old

PALO ALTO, Calif., Feb, 13, 2006 - ProCurve Networking by HP today introduced a set of Layer 3/4 LAN switches that feature wirespeed performance and integrated Gigabit Power over Ethernet (PoE)

(About the 5400s and 3500s)

Thank Post
    hmmmm, intrigues me as to why it has an old IP number then, as I know for a fact that KCN migrated all schools to a new range of IP numbers in the last quater of 2005 as I worked at another Kent school at the time, unless for some reason this particular school wasn't moved, or for some reason gave the Switch a number in the old range for some bizarre reason. It's one of the jobs on my never ending list, to get everything on the correct IP range, all my managed switches and Wireless Access Points have IP numbers on a totally different range to the rest of the school!

I'm genuinely intrigued now, as I presumed that switch was older, which in some ways is a good thing!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    No, definitely mean the 54xx series switches, the 41xx are even older and now dis-continued I believe. I know the 5408 switch we have must have been here more than 3 yrs, as it's still got an IP number on the old IP range, and KCN changed the IP range for the school in August 2005. I don't know how long before this they were around, and I expect they will continue to make them for a good while longer, as I believe the 41xx series switches were in production for about 7 or 8 years or longer.

Mike.
    There isn't a 5408zl - There is a 5308xl though, which is an old model...

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies, good to hear that HP equivelant VACLs are on the 54xx series.

Looks like the ticket for us, unless this slippy rug gets pulled from under me.

bio
    Thank Post
    you will need the 3com 5500G series. we have 4 of them and are pretty happy with them

bio..

Thank Post
    Another vote for HP54xx here. We love ours. We've also added the wireless controller which is very nice indeed. Means we are migrating to a managed wireless system for a reasonably small amount of money.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast