+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, School Intranet in Technical; Which Server is it installed on? the DC? and whats the situation, I assume you're behind a firewall...in which case ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Which Server is it installed on? the DC? and whats the situation, I assume you're behind a firewall...in which case not unless you're servers normally accessible from the web

Thank Post
    Joomla is fantastic and really easy to get up and running fast. Consider installing XAMPP and dowloading joomla.Try it on your machine first for a test site. I use it for both our intranet and internet site.

Thank Post
    is there anything on there they shouldn't have from home? and could you not edit the htaccess file to stop any but school ips accessing it?
    It's hosted externally, so no idea! No there's nothing really they can't have from home except that grid club and education city (I think) have licences for only in school as oppose to home and school, so not a security issue just licencing. I maintain the school website so it's just an easier option for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky2k3 View Post
    Install IIS on the server in question. Create a web site called intranet in IIS put your web pages into the Inetpub\wwwroot\intanet folder. On your DNS server point intranet to your web server ip address. We have the default home page set to http://intranet/ in group policy.
    Hi, we have IIS set up on the box that we're using to host our intranet. We've put all the web pages and content in to inetpub\wwwroot\intranet but we've come unstuck with telling our main dns box to point http://intranet/ at it. How exactly do we do it as we don't want to mess things up?

Thanks.

SPD.
    Last edited by Small_Pig_Dancing; 27th October 2008 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Small_Pig_Dancing View Post
    Hi, we have IIS set up on the box that we're using to host our intranet. We've put all the web pages and content in to inetpub\wwwroot\intranet but we've come unstuck with telling our main dns box to point EduGeek.net at it. How exactly do we do it as we don't want to mess things up?

Thanks.

SPD.
    In dnsmgmt mmc create a new alias (cname) entry in the forward lookup zone for your domain.
    Enter 'intranet' for the alias name and browse for the fqdn for the server you're hosting it on (eg. myserver.mydomain.local)

Thank Post
    Personally i find Apache far easier to manage. Something like WAMP is a simple case of install, next next next finish, then drop your website files in the WWW folder in your WAMP setup. Install PHP 5 Apache MySQL on Windows : WampServer

Once you get the hang of it you will be able to install a content management system like PostNuke or Joomla. Content management system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia List of content management systems

The advantage of a CMS is that anyone can add content to it. You give them a username and password and they login and add things with a WYSIWYG editor. It means the office staff can add infomation to it such as events, news, etc. Teachers can add files and hyperlinks for others to use such as a list of common links the pupils use.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 27th October 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    aye, but sharepoint'll do all that too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    aye, but sharepoint'll do all that too
    IMO sharepoint is far harder to get going. Certainly jumping in at the deep end. Granted i havnt had much time to play but ive never struggled to pick anything up before yet find myself at a loss in understanding how sharepoint all fits together, im yet to find any documentation explaining it in english rather than MSs illogical language.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 27th October 2008 at 05:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can see what you mean, it is horribly documented, but I'd say its an easier solution for someone who wants something that'll work 'out of the box'.

Its literally a single install on a 2k3/2k8 server.

Then you've a working, ad integrated site.

For intranet its awesome, but defo joomla or similar for a website

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I'm not sure about IIS and Sharepoint, but I'd hazard a guess that WAMP consumes far less resources.
    Good point considering the server has several roles already. The OP may have to stick with a flat website if their server cannot handle MySQL.

Thank Post
    I just added pages to our website & made it the hompage using gpo. One for pupils & one for staff. Works fine, only for links though.

I've now got Joomla hosted by Link2ICT & intend to expand the intranet using this.

I would go for the Joomla way, it's a very flexible system.

Thank Post
    If you're like me and despise IIS with a passion, Install Apache instead of IIS on a machine you'dd like to nominate as 'web server' for the Intranet.

Roll with the Win32 without Crypto, unless you plan to get certificates and all that gumph.

Then, if you want some dynamic page stuff going, I would go with PHP as a server-side scripting language.

If you intend to hook into a database for storing various things, MySQL is a good option, and if you want a PHP interface to administer it through, you can use PHPMyAdmin.

There's usually quite a good amount of documentation for all this setup although you may need to delve into ini files to tweak settings to your hearts content.

Do all this on a linux box and you have yourself a LAMP installation, but windows works just as well (sorta -- XP has a connection limit, so use something that's meant as a server OS).

Edit: Crap, didn't spot page 2, but my info still counts! >_<

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12