+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Help... I need a Procurve Pro! in Technical; Thanks, that has really helped me get my head around it....
    Thank Post

Re: Help... I need a Procurve Pro!

Thanks, that has really helped me get my head around it.

jjx
    Thank Post

Lightbulb Corrections, VLANs & ProCurve

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You can not mix tagged and untagged (I guess it might be possible but it would be complicated).

Guys,
    A few things here for you...

1) Tag vs Untag
    Tagged VLAN assignments are used for a) Uplinks and b) Devices that used Tagging (ie VoIP Phones). Untagged VLANs are used for 'endpoints' such as desktops with NICs that dont talk in 'VLAN'.

2) Mixing
    You CERTAINLY mix tagged & untagged. Edge ports are untagged (unless you have a 2nd device such as a phone) and uplinks are tagged. (1 exception, we usually untag the default or mgmt VLAN).

3) ProCurve and VLANs
    Which switches do you have and I'll get the correct CLI reference to you?
    ProCurve VLANs are very simple (simpler than most) to configure. You create a VLAN by number (ie #VLAN 30 name Students would make a VLAN 30 and name it on the switch, naming is optional).

4) VLANs and Subnets
    You can think of VLAN-ing similarly to subnetting, but understand they're different. Usually people combine VLAN segmentation with subnetting/IP, which is why VLANs are often mistaken for a Layer 3 technology. Generally, we like to identify the VLAN somewhere in the IP scheme... so with a 16-bit subnet mask, maybe your default VLAN is 10.10.X.X/16... you could create a seperate VLAN '35' and segment that's 10.35.X.X/16. Not required, but usually what's done.

5) ProCurve
    If you're not used to VLANs, I would suggest using/installing the ProCurve Manager Plus (PCM+) software. It will scout out the network, map out your switches and let you see where VLANs are set in a visual format. If you're missing a link along the way you can clearly identify it from the VLAN network map view.

Hope this helps!
    jj

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjx View Post
    Guys,
    A few things here for you...

1) Tag vs Untag
    Tagged VLAN assignments are used for a) Uplinks and b) Devices that used Tagging (ie VoIP Phones). Untagged VLANs are used for 'endpoints' such as desktops with NICs that dont talk in 'VLAN'.

2) Mixing
    You CERTAINLY mix tagged & untagged. Edge ports are untagged (unless you have a 2nd device such as a phone) and uplinks are tagged. (1 exception, we usually untag the default or mgmt VLAN).

3) ProCurve and VLANs
    Which switches do you have and I'll get the correct CLI reference to you?
    ProCurve VLANs are very simple (simpler than most) to configure. You create a VLAN by number (ie #VLAN 30 name Students would make a VLAN 30 and name it on the switch, naming is optional).

4) VLANs and Subnets
    You can think of VLAN-ing similarly to subnetting, but understand they're different. Usually people combine VLAN segmentation with subnetting/IP, which is why VLANs are often mistaken for a Layer 3 technology. Generally, we like to identify the VLAN somewhere in the IP scheme... so with a 16-bit subnet mask, maybe your default VLAN is 10.10.X.X/16... you could create a seperate VLAN '35' and segment that's 10.35.X.X/16. Not required, but usually what's done.

5) ProCurve
    If you're not used to VLANs, I would suggest using/installing the ProCurve Manager Plus (PCM+) software. It will scout out the network, map out your switches and let you see where VLANs are set in a visual format. If you're missing a link along the way you can clearly identify it from the VLAN network map view.

Hope this helps!
    jj

Since I wrote this I have implemented vlan/subnet/auth so I know what I'm doing now

I believe I was talking about mixing tagged and untagged for a single port, although it was some time ago. I think you might even be able to mix on a single port, but it gets interesting when trunking at the same time.

PCM+ is quite the pile of junk. I even bought it.

Currently it doesn't support 13.x firmware and won't talk to some of my procurves that have snmpv3.

In fact I've not done so well for firmware lately. My 3400s no longer do snmpv3 with the latest version and my 5400s have a crashing issue under 13.09.

HP suggested I do a factory reset. It is the core switch.

In general they have been great, and XP SP3 will hopefully squash my remaining 802.1x issues

jjx
    Thank Post

PCM+

Hi there,
    Yeah, I realized JUST after I typed it all that the post was OLD! LOL oh well

As for tag/untag- you MUST mix them if you plan to have more than 1 device on a port. For example, a VoIP phone would use the tagged and the PC connected through it untagged... so the port would be Tagged for 1 and Untagged for the other...

PCM+ actually does support the ver 13 firmware. I have it here in my labs and several customers are already on 13... however... I'm not recommending they upgrade on 5400 past 12.57 (you can get it here ProCurve Networking by HP - Software Summary)

If you want to try it, load the 12.57 into Secondary Flash.. do a reload to secondary.. if it's all working, you can copy Secondary to Primary. THat will likely fix the issues. (If you want CLI commands let me know).

PCM is not pretty- they're working on that- but it is useful in reporting and troubleshooting. Personally, I prefer the CLI but when you have a lot of switches, firmware and config mgmt is much easier with PCM+.

Good Luck!
    -jj

Thank Post
    The notes did mention that it didn't work properly with 13, and from my experience it doesn't. I've not updated PCM in the last few weeks though.

I can add my 5400s, and they get added ok. However after a few minutes it says it can no longer connect and all communication tests fail, despite the switch still working.

jjx
    Thank Post

Interesting..

Interesting.. I have the latest version and haven't had a problem so far (yet).

I have added this to a list at the dev labs/support to check into.

thanks!
    jj

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12