+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, senile cachepilot in Technical; It seems our crap^h^h^h^hcachepilot has gone senile. The other day the Bradford proxy server for the entire county went down ...
    Thank Post

senile cachepilot

It seems our crap^h^h^h^hcachepilot has gone senile.

The other day the Bradford proxy server for the entire county went down (again) and I called and just asked for an ETA.

They phoned back when the internet was working again and got through to a teacher, as I had gone home and guided that teacher into the network cab and told them how to reset the cachepilot.
    Since then the cachepilot won't accept our password, or the default password (which I tried just incase it had factory reset or similar). The cachepilot seems to be working fine and no one is having internet troubles.

I rang Bradford and they said they would "call me back" [read: fob me off]

Does anyone know any other passwords it may have set to other than "password", I read the manuals online and they shone no light.

Thank Post
    Right, Got somewhere!

Education Bradford rang me back on the same day I made the call!

Very politely told me I was not supposed to have ever had the cachepilot password and synetrix have now changed them all and I was "lucky to have it while you did".

Oh well, all good things come to an end

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleus View Post
    Right, Got somewhere!

Education Bradford rang me back on the same day I made the call!

Very politely told me I was not supposed to have ever had the cachepilot password and synetrix have now changed them all and I was "lucky to have it while you did".

Oh well, all good things come to an end
    At least you don't have the bother of looking after it - anything goes wrong ring them.

Thank Post
    I believe that CachePilot is Linux based... correct me if I'm wrong.

If so... you can use this Reset lost root password and more using Knoppix (Linux live CD) F241vc15′ Weblog to create an additional root user.

If you copy the "shadow" file to "shadow.original", edit the "shadow" file, to remove the password, boot up as normal, logon (as shown in the link) as root, with a blank password, create a new user with your password.

Then boot back to the Live CD, open the "shadow" file, and copy the new user details to the "shadow.copy" file, then rename the "shadow" file to "shadow.hacked" rename the "shadow.copy" to "shadow". this has then reset their password as the root user, but created another one, which you can use.

It does, however, invalidate your warranty (if they find out).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    I believe that CachePilot is Linux based... correct me if I'm wrong.

If so... you can use this Reset lost root password and more using Knoppix (Linux live CD) F241vc15′ Weblog to create an additional root user.

If you copy the "shadow" file to "shadow.original", edit the "shadow" file, to remove the password, boot up as normal, logon (as shown in the link) as root, with a blank password, create a new user with your password.

Then boot back to the Live CD, open the "shadow" file, and copy the new user details to the "shadow.copy" file, then rename the "shadow" file to "shadow.hacked" rename the "shadow.copy" to "shadow". this has then reset their password as the root user, but created another one, which you can use.

It does, however, invalidate your warranty (if they find out).
    Hmm interesting. Trying to get something done for us on our Cachepilot is an absolute nightmare. Been trying for 3 weeks now to get a port added to the allowed list.
    I cant wait for the day we get rid and i have endless fun smashing it to peices and mailing them back to equinet!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread