+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified in Technical; I created a rule in ISA Server 2004 to allow access to an MSDE instance on a win server 2003. ...

Thank Post

Question error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

I created a rule in ISA Server 2004 to allow access to an MSDE instance on a win server 2003. When connecting from the computer that I allowed in the rule, I get the message:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have allowed outbound traffic for all users on TCP port 1433 (default Microsoft SQL port) and also allowed access to the port for the named instance.

When ISA is not installed, I can access the database from any computer.

Please Help!

Thank Post

Post SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

visit: Share experience between developer: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

Error when connecting to SQL server:

Below are steps may try to help:
    1) Make sure your server name is correct, e.g., no typo on the name.
    2) Make sure your instance name is correct and there is actually such an instance on your target machine. [Update: Some application converts \\ to \. If you are not sure about your application, please try both Server\Instance and Server\\Instance in your connection string]
    3) Make sure the server machine is reachable, e.g, DNS can be resolve correctly, you are able to ping the server (not always true).
    4) Make sure SQL Browser service is running on the server.
    5) If firewall is enabled on the server, you need to put sqlbrowser.exe and/or UDP port 1434 into exception.

Best Regard,
    Fellow developer
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit Url: Share experience between developer

3. Thanks to bala4901 from:

Strotzyl (1st July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 954 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bala4901 View Post
    visit: Share experience between developer: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

Error when connecting to SQL server:

Below are steps may try to help:
    1) Make sure your server name is correct, e.g., no typo on the name.
    2) Make sure your instance name is correct and there is actually such an instance on your target machine. [Update: Some application converts \\ to \. If you are not sure about your application, please try both Server\Instance and Server\\Instance in your connection string]
    3) Make sure the server machine is reachable, e.g, DNS can be resolve correctly, you are able to ping the server (not always true).
    4) Make sure SQL Browser service is running on the server.
    5) If firewall is enabled on the server, you need to put sqlbrowser.exe and/or UDP port 1434 into exception.

Best Regard,
    Fellow developer
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit Url: Share experience between developer
    as per the question he tried 1433 ( unless that was a typo ) other then that would be good to see if any of the above helps

5. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Strotzyl (1st July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strotzyl View Post
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have allowed outbound traffic for all users on TCP port 1433 (default Microsoft SQL port) and also allowed access to the port for the named instance.

When ISA is not installed, I can access the database from any computer.

Please Help!
    A couple come to mind, have you tried the surface area config for remote connections and also under the security logins for your SQL SVR in management studio put in <DOMAIN>\<SERVER NAME>$ and given rights? (replacing the <> with your settings)

7. Thanks to Drax from:

Strotzyl (1st July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    A couple come to mind, have you tried the surface area config for remote connections and also under the security logins for your SQL SVR in management studio put in <DOMAIN>\<SERVER NAME>$ and given rights? (replacing the <> with your settings)
    I am pretty sure that I tried that, but I will check on Monday. Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread