+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wifi Signal drops over time in Technical; My PC at home connections to our wifi router, using a belkin 54g desktop card. My router is configured with ...
    Thank Post

Wifi Signal drops over time

My PC at home connections to our wifi router, using a belkin 54g desktop card.

My router is configured with WPA encryption, no limits on connection speeds, and is mac address filtered

When this pc is connected it has full excellent or very good connection strength running at 54mb/s, and this pc remains on constantly as i have one or two shared items running from it. How ever over time the connection speed drops, and occasionally the signal strength hits low. I am currently using the best channel that i can for my house, and after repairing the connection it goes back up to full speed.

I find it strange that this happens, all power save options on the card are turned off, and i havent yet managed to isolate a commonality between the times this happens, admittedly the signal doesnt drop horrifically badly sometimes it goes to 18, but the lowest can be 11. To fix it i just repair the windows connection and it works fine

Any idea's?

(not sure if this should be in networks or hardware threat)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    It's a possibility a neighbour has a wireless access point very close to yours which is causing interference. I would recommend you change the wireless channel on the router to something different (for experimental purposes).

Thank Post
    I have tried changing the channels numerous times in the past and to no avail. It usually occurs if im using alot of the bandwidth between my pc and the router. Which could mean its my pc, it just seems strange

For instance today i rebooted my router, and my pc connected to it fine when it came back on. How ever the connection speed was 18mbps, it was also at this before i rebooted the router. After repairing the connection on my machine the speed went back up to normal.

I Believe i am currently using the latest possible belkin drivers for my card aswell

Adam

Thank Post
    Also try using a plain "G" setting, no "B", no extended range stuff, No 108 speed stuff, just 54G. We use wireless exclusively at private school where I work. Our access points are capable of the B, G and N wireless standards, but I'm not so sure that every wireless laptop, iphone, and desktop's interoperability lives up to those compatibility standards as advertised. So we run "G" and have gotten better results at times.

additionally, we put a Hawking 15dbi corner antenna on the main access point and noticed an immediate throughput improvement on our clients. Clients that fluctuated from 36,24,18,and 11, bumped up to 54, 48, 36mbps.

We have a building about 40yards away from the main transmitting access point. We added a signal booster (200-400Mw) and another high gain antenna to boost reception through our trees and brick walls on our existing Linksys wireless bridge and it made a big difference in consistent throughput. We used to get 2mbps speeds and lots of dropped connections. Once we went to 54G with the antenna's and booster we could get up to 36, 24, 18mbps fairly consistently with virtually no dropouts.

We have another situation with a linksys WAP54G access point and a desktop that is only 5 feet away line of sight and the speeds are low, like 2mbps at times. All I can figure is that the drivers on the desktop wireless card are just junk,or the card is junk. I bought a few 20 dollar wireless USB flash drive style cards to plug in to computers to see if the connection improves with these. If they do, I know the internal wireless cards are the problem, and not obstacles or desktop placement.

Good luck

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread