+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, DNS Problem? in Technical; Ok, I have a hunch that I know the answer to this, but to save me many hours of work ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

DNS Problem?

Ok, I have a hunch that I know the answer to this, but to save me many hours of work I will ask around and see what others say. I will say I did research before doing this project and things on the web access side were adjusted without informing me so thats why this may be happening!

My new primary school network is like this:

Community Web Access - Censornet Box with 2 cards (ext & int)
    IP Address given from Web to CNet - 192.168.1.17, Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway & DNS 192.168.1.2.

Internal Connection from Cnet to LAN - 192.168.0.2, Subnet 255.255.255.0.

My Server 2003 server - IP 192.168.0.1, Snet - 255.255.255.0, DNS 192.168.0.1, WINS 192.168.0.1

OK, so thats what they are set at, and all seemed well, I got web access, streaming media for Internet Radio for me whilst working etc, but when I go to save a file from a piece of software, the software hung, and after 3 mins, it gives a delayed file write error etc (you get the gist of it). Think thats strange, trys again etc still the same thing on more than one PC. Tried another network card in the server incase thats faulty, nope thats fine, checked the wiring, thats fine, tried another PC, same problem, so then....

I did an IP config and what did I see, it had still got its DHCP assigned IP (192.168.0.10, 255.255.255.0) BUT as well as my DNS of 192.168.0.1, it has also now got 192.168.1.2 in it (internet connection's DNS details), but thats not specified anywhere in my DNS setup.

So this is my issue, If i release and renew it looses the wrong info and starts to work, but as soon as I access the Server for files, I get this rogue entry from the Censornet Box back within minutes of reconnecting.

I have deleted the DHCP file from the CN box as has been mentioned before to stop it trying to do DHCP'y things without permission etc, but still this happens. The only way to stop this problem is to remove the CN box from the network and it works really well, and very quick.

So here is my problem, how do I stop this from happening? I cannot change the details assigned to me by the Community internet thing, they are fixed at those above, so have i messed up my DNS, have I got a DNS error somewhere, or am I stuffed :cry:

I have checked and there are no stray leads etc, so I was thinking is this a DNS issue or have I got this problem as our IPs are in the same scope, and do I need to change my IP address scheme to stop this happening? Say changing it to 172.28.96.* Range would that stop it?

If some kind sole could advise please I would be most greatful as the school would like Internet Access with Filtering, and I would like this wonderful LAN to work, as its taken me all week to get it built then this happens.

IF I do need to change my Internal IP settings, whats the easiest way of doing that as this machine is everything to the network, so its Active D, DNS, WINS, DHCP etc if you could advise, I am sure I could wipe it and re-install it all in a day or just over a day, but there is probably a far easier option to change over all the DNS, DHCP, setups etc....

Many Thanks again!

John

Thank Post

Re: DNS Problem?

Log onto the console as root and
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/dhcp stop
    Then you can see that DHCP has definately stopped.

Thank Post

I will have a look, for good measure, I have wiped the CN machine and re-programming it as I type, so I will check it now...

Ok, logged in as root, and typed as you put, it then said Stopping DHCP server dhcp3. So did that mean it was running or does it just keep saying that? (sorry if its a stuid question, I am a Linux virgin as it were)

Thank Post

That means it was running and you have stopped it.

Thank Post

So despite deleting that file using Censornets instructions, the blasted thing still runs, geeez, I hope thats a new feature in V4, a TURN OFF DHCP FOR EVER button that actually does as its told! Lets hope when I plug it all back in tomorrow that it works, and doesn't kill my lovely network.

Instead of telling it STOP dhcp, could you not just remove dhcp from that folder to ensure its dead?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

to remove dhcpd from boot sequence try:
    Code:
    /sbin/chkconfig dhcpd off

Thank Post

Thanks for the advice, as CN is quite simply set up, i thought I would experiment with it (yeah I am playing dangerously) as I now know how to Remove things, and where these things are that start up, I just tried Removing them, and guess what, they removed, and no errors, so it now knows nothing about DHCP, seems to be working very well and efficient too and no more nasty DHCP taking over my network. So thanks for the help, much appreciated.

If Chris ever needs a hand as he seems to be the top CN guru, I am only 45 mins away, so nice and handy. Cybernerd, I would offer for you as well but as I don't know where you are, I could be sending myself off to London....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information