+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Cannot Ping client from server in Technical; Ok, probably something really silly that I have missed, or I may have a major mess on my hands (hopefully ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Cannot Ping client from server

Ok, probably something really silly that I have missed, or I may have a major mess on my hands (hopefully the earlier option) my new Server 2003 server seems to have issues pinging clients from it. This server is everything - DNS, DHCP, Active D, Fileserver, RIS server, WSUS server, Sophos Server.... you get the picture, its for a small primary school, so cannot afford more than 1 to spread the load.

When I try and ping a client (XP Pro SP2) they just time out, so please can someone help me! as this seems to be the last little bug and once thats done, its all done (I Think / Hope!)

Ta

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Cannot Ping client from server

XP firewall enabled on the clients? Seems the most likely thing to me.

Thank Post

It was, but I thought I had set enough exceptions to make it work. Am i safe enough leaving it turned off? (As I have now turned it off and it PINGs)

This setup is 1 Server, 30 clients, and a censornet box, out onto a community broadband venture (don't ask or get me started on it, the sooner NYCC force them onto there setup the better in some ways, but not in other), so are we safe enough? Its a primary school if that helps

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The way I look at it, as long as your network is sufficently firewalled from the outside, you have file and folder permissions locked down tightly enough on your workstations to prevent software installations and you have a nice software restriction policy in place to prevent unauthorised software being run, firewalling internal clients is fairly pointless. If it helps any, I deliberately disable the XP firewall on our network and we have no problems that are caused by it being off that I can see.

Thank Post

I think I will leave it off then, the Censornet seems a good little product, and the Wireless mesh thingy we are part of is supposedly well firewalled ad setup I also just crippled my censornet box as its DHCP was starting to creep in despite being turned off, and despite me thinking I had done it already, but silly me, I hadn't, but its now well crippled (IE the DHCP file has been removed as per instructions on the Censornet forum and here.)

So that should hopefully have solved all my problems for now, just need to remember to donate once I get a working credit card as mines maxxed out at present, only another 3 days till the payment clears then I will donate to a very excelleny cause.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Are you still working at half past two in the morning? You madman you :P

Thank Post

Thats nothing, was up till 4:30 the other day, started the day at 8am Sat and went right through till 4:30am Sun, needles to say I was in bed till lunch time on Sunday, but then as you ca ntell, I am still working away now, partly my fault, the GPOs are still not finished and having the server etc under your desk at home means when I cannot sleep I can be very useful and finish them, or as the case is now, as I tire, I can make some nasty mistakes like the other day

Anyway, thansk for your help Norphy! Off to bed I go, after this last bit of software testing! (Its fun testing primary software, beats Pro Desktop errors )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread