+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Who has Ruckus ?? in Technical; It still cheaper than any system by aruba or bluesocket, and you'll probably need less AP's The aerials also shape ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It still cheaper than any system by aruba or bluesocket, and you'll probably need less AP's

The aerials also shape the signal to avoid interferance and provide max throughput to clients, so placement becomes less of a try and see approach - and they do all that automagically - which is nice.

The meshing works pretty well too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    The aerials also shape the signal to avoid interferance and provide max throughput to clients, so placement becomes less of a try and see approach - and they do all that automagically - which is nice.

The meshing works pretty well too
    I wondered if the meshing was any good or not...? Do all APs do the meshing? Might try and arrange a trial.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah they all do the meshing - it also works for bridging - which is a bonus.

The only way to get the real effect of how much of a difference the gear makes is to get a trial.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    I wondered if the meshing was any good or not...? Do all APs do the meshing? Might try and arrange a trial.
    Hi dirtydog,

Net-Ctrl Ruckus Wireless Techie here,

Yes the meshing is outstanding; all G AP's are capable of meshing with another G radio AP. All N's with N's however with the current firmware releases does not allow meshing a N AP with a G AP.

If meshing is being used I recommend a 3-4hop maximum, a hop being how many AP's are being meshed before it hits a root AP (physically connected AP)

I am more than happy to lend you some kit for an eval.
    Please contact Mark Power on 01473 281211 if you would like to arrange this.

Kind Regards
    Stuart White

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I can agree the meshing is great, had my last place's trial set up on meshing and was meshing very very well, so was very pleased with it, had 3 hops with G APs and was fine, no issues at all for me.

Do as the nice man from Net-Ctrl says, give Mark a ring and I'm sure he will happily sort you out with a trail for the kit, as seeing is believing, and trust me once you've had this and got the price you won't want the bigger names kit that costs more and wonder how on earth you ever did without it!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I can agree the meshing is great, had my last place's trial set up on meshing and was meshing very very well, so was very pleased with it, had 3 hops with G APs and was fine, no issues at all for me.

Do as the nice man from Net-Ctrl says, give Mark a ring and I'm sure he will happily sort you out with a trail for the kit, as seeing is believing, and trust me once you've had this and got the price you won't want the bigger names kit that costs more and wonder how on earth you ever did without it!!!
    cheers John,
    Already arranged a trial yesterday, cant wait to see it in action on site.

Thank Post
    Just to bring this thread back from the dead (sorry)

I have now finally been given the go ahead from our HT and governors to actually purchase this kit. They really only agreed after seeing the p*** poor performance of our tiny d-link 7100ap's.

I had 60 laptops all trying to log on this morning in 2 rooms that are located next to each other. Over the space of about 20 yards there were 8 of the Dlink AP's in use (there's 2 ap's on each trolley).

It just couldnt cope. Some laptops we not even getting traffic and just saying domain unavailable.

Will this ruckus stuff accomodate 60 laptops logging on within close proximity of each other? The logons will of course be a little spread apart.
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Just to bring this thread back from the dead (sorry)

I have now finally been given the go ahead from our HT and governors to actually purchase this kit. They really only agreed after seeing the p*** poor performance of our tiny d-link 7100ap's.

I had 60 laptops all trying to log on this morning in 2 rooms that are located next to each other. Over the space of about 20 yards there were 8 of the Dlink AP's in use (there's 2 ap's on each trolley).

It just couldnt cope. Some laptops we not even getting traffic and just saying domain unavailable.

Will this ruckus stuff accomodate 60 laptops logging on within close proximity of each other? The logons will of course be a little spread apart.
    Hi Jamin100

Think we have already spoken over email regarding this earlier today but just to be sure I wanted to post a reply.

Yes the Ruckus solution will allow 60 users to log in at any one time the 1000 series can allow upto 1000 users in one go and the 3000 series upto 5000, but obviosuly this is also going to be very dependant in your network and unlikely to every be experienced in a school. Hovever 60 is a low and easy number for Ruckus to cope with, looking back at the posts you will see a primary school in Birmingham has already experienced 60 users logged in and working using the mini notebooks which I hope may be a nice confidence boost.

If you would like to see and speak more about this then we will be on the Edugeek stand G89 for all of the Bett Show next week and happy to meet with you.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Mark
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes Mark, Its me lol..

Unfortunatly i cannot make Bett this year but am looking foward to trialing the Ruckus Gear!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thought it was

Shame you can't make it

Will sort the eval asap for you as promised.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just taken delivery of some Ruckus kit. We've been trialling a Zone Director and a couple of G Access Points on each of our Laptop Trolleys for the past couple of months....

It's been said before, "it just works". These guys need an award!

Simply to set up, and we've had no problems whatsoever since introducing it. Even the teachers have started to remark on the stability of the laptop trolleys recently!

I like the fact that it's quite modular, so you can add AP's at any time (up to your licence limit). It is also sitting quite happily with our existing WiFi kit (standard HP stuff) which I will be replacing over time.

Just had a new Zone Director delivered with 4 AP's after persuading our business manager that this stuff was worth it. Got a good deal on buying 4 APs. We're just in the process of re-configuring our laptop trolleys. I like the fact that it's quite modular, so you can add AP's at any time (up to your licence limit), so will be adding more in the next financial year.

Only thing to remember is to use WPA-AES (or WPA2-AES) and not WPA-TKIP as each AP can only support 26 clients using TKIP.

I like the Guest Access feature which I will look at in the future, this enables you to set up a 'Guest' SSID with a portal that request a user name and password and then directs traffic only your Gateway and not the rest of your LAN. A lot of our organisations that use our hall out of hours have requested WiFi internet access and I've always said no. Once I work out how to set it up, we can offer that too.

HTH

Pete

Thank Post
    We run almost 200 Laptops of our D-Link 7100AP's with fantastic performance, have you configured them correctly as they are great. We cover the whole school with them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    We run almost 200 Laptops of our D-Link 7100AP's with fantastic performance, have you configured them correctly as they are great. We cover the whole school with them.
    Yep i've tried all sorts of configuration.
    The best i found was to team them up in pairs and only allow 15 laptops to connect to those 2 AP's.

Still not good enough though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Yep i've tried all sorts of configuration.
    The best i found was to team them up in pairs and only allow 15 laptops to connect to those 2 AP's.

Still not good enough though
    I think putting the AP in the trolley is a bad idea, one reason for example say you have 4 trolleys, with 2 AP on each one on G Band, so you have

Trolley 1 - Channel 1 & 6
    Trolley 2 - Channel 6 & 11
    Trolley 3 - Channel 1 & 11
    Trolley 4 - Channel 1 & 11

What happens if you have 2 class rooms next to each other or close and one has trolley 1 and one has trolley 4? Your going to have poor performance because the two channel 1's will interfear with each other. If you had Trolley 3 and 2 Channel 11 will interfear and you will have poor performance again.

If you put an infrastructure in that covers the whole school you can set the channels so they are least likely to interfear.

We have all our AP's set like that broadcasting on G and A band, then on each trolley the first 50% are set to A band as the priority AP, then the rest as G band as the priority. With Super Mode turned on with A Band, and Supermode without Turbo turned on G band, and they perform like a dream, still quick with loads laptops in one area.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    If you put an infrastructure in that covers the whole school you can set the channels so they are least likely to interfear.

We have all our AP's set like that broadcasting on G and A band, then on each trolley the first 50% are set to A band as the priority AP, then the rest as G band as the priority. With Super Mode turned on with A Band, and Supermode without Turbo turned on G band, and they perform like a dream, still quick with loads laptops in one area.
    The Ruckus kit can support up to 100 devices per AP (as long as your using AES). Two classrooms next to each other, put AP somewhere in the middle.

Anyways, Ruckus uses this Beamflex thingy which directs (and bounces) an individual beam of RF to each individual device. One of it's unique features. I was shown the inards of one AP which has an impressive antenna array which has the ability to direct individual multiple (I forget the actually number, but it was in the thousands) signals. The do not radiate outwards in all directs, therefore no interference.

Look at me, sounding like a Salesman now! I'm some one who sells them would explain it better than I did.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast