+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Universal Ghost CD, works great!...or does it? in Technical; Aiight guys. So I took the Universal Network TCP/IP boot disk, made it into a CD, enabled CD-ROM support [still ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation Universal Ghost CD, works great!...or does it?

Aiight guys. So I took the Universal Network TCP/IP boot disk, made it into a CD, enabled CD-ROM support [still can't believe it took me that long to figure out how to do lol] and then put ghost on it. Needless to say, the login script I made boots up ghost, and the rest of the cd works great in detecting the right driver.

However, there's a major problem with the cd and my network. I'll review this the best I can. If I use a traditional ghost floppy, I can pop it into the machine I'm building an image out of, and successfully dump that to a ghost server on the other side of the network, no problem. If I use the universal ghost cd I made, I can also successfully dump the image to the ghost server on the other side of the network, no problem. I use only multicasting. So that works well. So let's try deploying the image. I then pop the floppy in, and it transfers no problem to the client. I then pop the CD in.....and it fails at 89 percent every time. No idea why.

So then I thought ok, let's move the client machine over to the same 5 port switch on my desk where I have the multicast machine with all the images. Used the CD, it worked perfectly. No problems. The cd just didn't like the slightly larger network that is the high school.

I'm slightly confused. I could never find all the right drivers for my machines around the network, and this universal boot CD was supposed to solve everything. It looks extremely awsome, but it just doesn't complete the multicast.

So here are the interesting facts. On the floppy disk, I noticed it ALSO pauses the transfer at 89 percent, HOWEVER, it continues after 15 seconds or so and ends the transfer successfully. The CD on the other hand, stops at 89 percent, and after 15 seconds or so, says "Connection reset by client" on the ghost server.

We are using multicast server and ghost version 7. Thanks so much for any advice! It would be a pain to have to get floppies together at the last second.
    Last edited by link470; 6th September 2008 at 08:56 PM.

Thank Post

ghost

If you have a ghost server why dont you push images out from there instead of using boot disks??

Thank Post
    Unfortunately it's an older version of ghost and I don't have the installer. If you have an article on how to do it I could try. That involves configuring PXE doesn't it?

Thank Post

ghost

On the server launch the console

go to tools
    remote client install

run through the wizard
    the client should then be installed
    on the console it will appear under default machine group
    then check it has correct Network card driver
    then you create a task pointing to the client (or group)
    tell it where the image file is
    execute the task

should ghost and change SID and put back into Domain if you gave the client the correct information

Thank Post
    I'll give that a try, thanks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not quite sure what you're using, but is this a universal network driver? If so, I'd guess it's slightly less tolerant of network problems - if you have the "genuine" NIC driver on the floppy, it perhaps retries for longer than the universal driver.

Sometimes the NDIS2 drivers have configurable options - there might be something to change how long it will wait before timing out??

If you can use the client as imiddleton25 suggests then I really would do that - it makes life much easier!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had similar issues with multicast, and it was due to some of the switches on the network not supporting the proper protocols - i forget which.

As its sending out to everywhere on the network all hardware needs to be right.

We ended up using unicast instead.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread