+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Procurve VLAN help in Technical; I urgently need to implement a VLAN on my previously un-VLANned network. In addition to the primary DEFAULT_VLAN(1), I have ...
    Thank Post

Procurve VLAN help

I urgently need to implement a VLAN on my previously un-VLANned network.

In addition to the primary DEFAULT_VLAN(1), I have created a second VLAN: ACCESSCONTROL(2).

At one end I have a computer with an Intel network card that is 802.1Q compliant. I have enabled VLAN and added the VLANs which has created the appropriate virtual adapters. Since the VLAN1 is the primary VLAN, it should pick up an IP address from the DHCP server. I've set a static IP on the VLAN2 adapter.

On the switch to which the computer is attached (4108gl), I've set the computer and uplink port to tag both VLANs. All other ports have their default setting which is untagged for VLAN1 and and No for VLAN2. All other servers are attached to this switch, including the DHCP server.

On the interconnecting switches (2650), I've added the second VLAN and tagged VLAN1 and VLAN2 on the two connecting ports, again all other ports have their default setting.

On the last switch (2600-8PWR) to which the mifare readers are attached, I've set the VLAN1 and VLAN2 to tag on uplink ports. On the ports where the readers are attached, these are set to untagged for VLAN2 (as the devices are not 802.1Q compliant) with no access to VLAN1.

GVRP is disabled on all switches.

The result of the above configuration was that the VLAN 1 adapter on the computer did not pick up an IP address. I tried setting an IP address manually, but unsurprisingly it would not connect to anything. VLAN2 would not connect to a mifare reader with a static address set.

When I changed settings on the computer and switch1 to untag VLAN1, it connects to VLAN1 and gets an IP ok, but VLAN2 still doesn't work.

I've also tried turning off VLAN1 at the computer end, and untagging VLAN2, I still cannot ping the devices on VLAN2.

Please excuse the crude diagram.

Help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Are both ip's on the server in different subnets?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Are both ip's on the server in different subnets?
    yep, they are.

Thank Post
    Do the ip's overlap, as in does the subnet mask mean routing could go to either address?

Also to get a dhcp address you will need to add an additional scope in dhcp for that subnet. Can the server ping anything on vlan 2? does the server have a default gateway? You may need to add a static route back to the vlan 2 addresses.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Do the ip's overlap, as in does the subnet mask mean routing could go to either address?
    I don't think so, VLAN has a couple of scopes, the DHCP scope is 172.19.48.0 S/M 255.255.252.0 and 192.168.0.0 S/M 255.255.255.0. VLAN2 is 192.168.1.0 S/M 255.255.255.0.

Also to get a dhcp address you will need to add an additional scope in dhcp for that subnet. Can the server ping anything on vlan 2? does the server have a default gateway? You may need to add a static route back to the vlan 2 addresses.
    The DHCP server serves leases on the 172.19.48.0 scope on the default vlan (1). Should I still need to modify DHCP settings if I just want VLAN1 clients to continue to receive leases (even when they belong to both VLAN1 and 2)? I plan to leave both 192.* scopes on static.

Thank Post
    Scopes and dhcp sound ok, what about a default gateway, is one set on either of the servers 2 addresses?

Thank Post
    The 172.* scope has the D/G set in the DHCP options? Should I need to specify it elsewhere? The 192.* ranges do not require a D/G.

Thank Post
    just to rule out routing issues try adding a route on the server from cmd prompt. Assuming server is 192.168.0.1

route add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1

beyond that I'm not sure. You could try an untagged on vlan 2 on the first switch.

Thank Post
    There was nothing wrong with the config, the computer I was using to test the VLAN refused to connect to any tagged VLAN. It is an on-board Intel pro connection (on intel D965MSCK). I added the VLANs and the driver created the virtual network adapters accordingly, but these would not connect to any other device on either VLAN, whether it was tagged or not. It would only connect to an untagged VLAN if I removed all the VLANs from the driver and it operated as a non-VLAN aware device. I tried uninstalling the driver and installing the newest one, but still no connection. I tried another computer (same mainboard) on the same port, set up it's VLANs and it was fine. Thankfully the computer with the problem was just my management workstation, and not the production server.

Thanks for your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread