+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, "Large" wireless install pilot. Things to worry about ..? in Technical; Hi Guys, I am in the position now of recommending both hardware and solution design for my school (wirless) and ...
    Thank Post

"Large" wireless install pilot. Things to worry about ..?

Hi Guys,

I am in the position now of recommending both hardware and solution design for my school (wirless) and i was wondering if i can get some help from the crowd that has and have running wireless solutions.

In this pilot i have conjured i have recommended two differing (in price mainly) systems and depending on how much money there is to play with will decided where we go .. so:

solution 1 - 1 x 3com wx2200 wireless controller and 10 x 2750 MAP (approx 11K AUS)
    solution 2 - 1 x netGear wireless controller (only one they sell) and 10 x WAGL102 (approx 5K AUS)

Now, as far as the networking is concerned im pretty confident with it. I will simply incorporate the entire WLAN as an purple interface of our backend firewall, allowing access to only the things we give external access to anyway (WebMail, https file access etc)

As far as the wireless solutions are concerned neither cater for the magic .n which is arriving any ..day .. month .. year now i guess. Is it wise to provision a solution whilst ignoring the impending N? Ofcourse id love to incorporate all solutions with N capabilties but price goes astronomical very quickly with the 3com MAPs going from approx $400 to $1300 each.

Before you ask "well what are your requirements" they are fairly simple, allowing non-school owned laptops access to our external services and our internet service (personal staff laptops/guest access).

Please feel free to comment on this idea in anyway you wish, pro 3com anti 3com, ideas on the impending .n, issues with bringing in personal laptops etc.

And before Geoff suggests it ....

yes i will be planning to implement packetfence here! (I just cant the @#$$%^ VM image to run!!! The disks where made with a vmware versio with more then your version. ideas Geoff?)

Thanks alot in advance to everyone. I do have techincal questions with the AP channels and such but ill ask them soon as i dont want to drown you with questions.

Cheers Again!
    Amfony

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you can get Ruckus in Oz I would suggest you really give that a look. Managed and affordable.

Ruckus Wireless

PC Pro: Product Reviews: Ruckus Wireless ZoneFlex

Thank Post
    tbh... I would choose neither of those solutions as scalability is limited (as are the features).

The solution offerings from Cisco, BlueSocket and Ruckus are the three that seem to offer the best value for money - with Cisco being the most expensive and Ruckus being the least expensive.

When I evaluated system for our install, Ruckus weren't about and I disliked the licensing model of the Cisco kit - a license for this that and the other plus more licenses for adding bits later! I settled on BlueSocket and it's great - multiple security methods, very scalable and a lot better value for money than Cisco. BlueSocket also have draft-N APs available which are guaranteed to be firmware upgradable when the standard is ratified. The draft-N APs are also properly PoE compliant which some are not!

The 3COM system uses technology licensed from Aruba which put me off a bit - what if the two companies fell out? The featureset was also rather weak. The Netgear solution is very cheap but doesn't scale much beyond the 10 APs that you initially want to implement (IIRC 32 is the maximum number of APs - or 16 in a redundant controller solution).

On the technical side, much of the config will be automagically handled by the controller (channel selection, signal strength, etc.) so there's not much need to worry about that.

I can't really help you much with your Packetfence... I've only played a couple of times but I do remember that it wasn't too hard to install from scratch.

Thank Post
    holy creeper dos_Box -- that PC Pro article was a salivating affair. That Zone Director sounds beyond awesome man. Thanks for the heads up. A quick search shows little or no Ruckus dealers here though .. i shall continue looking.

Thank Post
    There are people installing Ruckus systems. We have literally turned the system on today and I am happy with it. The web based interface is easy to use and the AP's are all self configuring. It is also easy to configure each machine to connect as you just plug it into the LAN and point it to the activate page via the web browser.

Really worth looking at!

Thank Post
    well installing not really required but just purchasing would be tops if you know anyone actech?

Thank Post
    We purchased the system from Comtel in Toowoomba, QLD. Try giving this guy a call. He organised the system for us (and if you don't mind mention Rowan from Assumption College, me)

Wade Stuart
    Sales Consultant
    Comtel Pty. Ltd.
    2 Ann Street
    Toowoomba, QLD 4350
    Ph: (07) 4639 8999
    Fax: (07) 4639 8989
    Email: wade@comtel.com.au

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    If you can get Ruckus in Oz I would suggest you really give that a look. Managed and affordable.

Ruckus Wireless

PC Pro: Product Reviews: Ruckus Wireless ZoneFlex
    Have to 110% agree with The God with that, I LOVE the Ruckus Kit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post

The 3COM system uses technology licensed from Aruba which put me off a bit - what if the two companies fell out? The featureset was also rather weak. The Netgear solution is very cheap but doesn't scale much beyond the 10 APs that you initially want to implement (IIRC 32 is the maximum number of APs - or 16 in a redundant controller solution).
    First of all I want to introduce myself, I am the Senior Systems Engineer ANZ & Regional Product Manager for 3Com APR and I would like to clear up the confusion around our wireless switch product.

As RIC said in the above quote "the 3COM system uses technology licensed from Aruba" this is TOTALLY untrue. We do however have a strong OEM agreement with TRAPEZE networks who is a leading vendor in the wireless market. We have been working with TRAPEZE now for over 3 years and are now shipping Version 7.0 of our MSS software and 3WXM 7.0. 11N AP's are shipping (AP3950) and we now have a strong meshing solution.

Our wireless products have rich feature sets which are the equal to or better than many of our major competitors (Aruba, Cisco/Airespace). In particular we are very strong in the Education Space and in Education in Australia we have over 1000+ wireless switch installs in public and private education.

Scalability and architecture wise we support the following:

1. Network domain consisting of upto 500 mobility domains
    2. upto 32 WX switches per mobility domain

The network domain allows for full distributed forwarding at the edge OR will tunnel traffic between controllers. All controllers will allow for true roaming and support QoS across the wireless network. We also fully comply with the 802.11e standard.

Back to the original post one thing you need to do is compare apples with apples, a WX2200 is far superior to its netgear counter part, its scalability, redundant power, and feature support is that of a high end controller. To save some money you might want to consider the WX1200.

Please post if you have any queries, I will give you straight forward no nonsense answers.

Cheers

Andrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread