+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, NetXMS in Technical; Just wondering if anyone has implemented NetXMS. NetXMS - Open source network monitoring system :: Index Does anyone have advice ...

Thank Post

NetXMS

Just wondering if anyone has implemented NetXMS.

NetXMS - Open source network monitoring system :: Index

Does anyone have advice as to how it stacks up against similar tools like Nagios, HypericHQ and GroundWork.

Cheers,

K.

Thank Post
    havent tried it -- but another good one to keep in mind (especially when talking windows systems) is The Dude. As far as i can tell this XMS is very Dude liek in features

Thank Post

Might I suggest Zenoss?

It looks like it only does SNMP v1 and v2 and their own protocol called NXCP. My biased opinion is that it looks like a very young project that is putting an emphasis on supporting lots of databases and doing both remote and agent-based monitoring. Of course I would recommend Zenoss as an more capable alternative since it has all the features I saw on their site and does remote SNMP v1/v2c/v3, WMI and Perfmon, JMX and command-shell monitoring and has a several years of development and a large and active community behind it. Zenoss is also GPL and there is discounted pricing available for educational institutions if you require support and Enterprise features.

Thanks,
    Matt Ray
    Zenoss Community Manager
    Community Home - Commercial Open Source Network, Systems and Application Monitoring - Zenoss
    mray@zenoss.com

Thank Post
    Hello.

As one of the NetXMS developers I want to clarify situation a bit.

First of all - NetXMS is quite mature now; our first goal is achieved - system is stable, capable of monitoring large networks (hundreds of nodes and thousands of data collection items), highly configurable and and easy to maintain (e.g. agent configuration can be edited from administrator's management console; same for upgrades - you don't have to manually upgrade every box, it can be done from management console).

As for features - we support data collection using SNMP v1/v2 (including traps) and our own agent (ported to most common platforms, as well as Netware and IPSO). Our own trap mechanism is also available for pushing data and events directly into the server. All NXCP-based communications are encrypted and authenticated. Agent can proxy NXCP/SNMP requests, so networks behind NAT can be easily monitored.

Agent provide range of parameters and can be easily extended for specific needs (e.g. we use custom subagent to monitor ATMs). Core agent on all platforms provide cpu/network/process/file information; OS-specific/task-specific features provided by subagents (windows - PDH and WMI, Solaris - kstat, etc, subagent for UPS monitoring, etc). All agents can also use external applications/scripts as data source.

Our biggest problem right now is outdated documentation; it's prioritized but not done yet. However, is you have any question - feel free to ask here or in our forum (NetXMS Support Forum - Index)

wbr, alex.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information