+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Servers at home in Technical; Just wondering how many of you have servers at home or other network gear not normally found in the home.I ...

Thank Post

Servers at home

Just wondering how many of you have servers at home or other network gear not normally found in the home.I only ask because the other half thinks i am mad and no one else would have anything like this at home.

I myself have a dell 860 quad core xeon with 4gb ram (vmware and 6 vm's)
    Cisco Aironet 1230b wireless access point
    Cisco 5500 switch
    Equiinet netpilot enterprise (Firewall and email server used mainly for vpn to work)
    Did have a computer room with 5 workstations (and 4 laptops)on benching round 3 walls (until birth of grandson )now a nursery.
    Laser printer.

or am i just the sad old man she thinks I am.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im not that bad, i have 2 servers. One Server 2003 Domain controller, and a server for virtual machines including a server 2008 domain controller. They are not servers as such just base units.

It is sad but hey its how i learn most of what i know

Thank Post
    Hi, I have a Domain Controller running windows Server 2003 and that is also a file server and that is linked to nextdoors and my house and we have around 10 pc's joined to the domain

Thank Post

learn

Thats always been my reasoning the things i would like to look at but never get time at work i play with first at home then if any use implement them at work.
    Forgot to mention i do have 5 children so it was only one pc each plus my laptop, wifes laptop and a couple of spares. (all old kit given to me or built up from bits and piece's)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imiddleton25 View Post
    Just wondering how many of you have servers at home or other network gear not normally found in the home.
    I have an always-on Mac Mini to act as a server - I'm planning to move my email client to it real soon now. It, and my main workstation, are both connected to a UPS, and my main workstation is connected to an external RAID-1 box that makes a most disconcerting buzzing noise when operating.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I live in a shared house, so on our network we have

3 newish PC's
    3 Laptops
    1 x NDAS 160GB network hard drive
    1 x PS3
    1 x X-Box 360
    1 x Old PC running Server 2003

All connected through a Virgin Media 10mbs net connection via an old Buffalo router and an old 16 port switch in the back room.

Cabling that lot was interesting as it's a rental house, I can't go drilling holes in the walls and putting in proper fixed cabling, so it's all neatly clipped round the bottom of the skirting boards and run under doors. Luckily it's an old Victorian house none of the doors fit properly so they still close!

When I lived at home, I managed to network my PC with one of my friends who lived in the next road, but whose garden almost backed onto mine. We clipped a long BNC cable to the top of the fence, it went through two neighbours gardens without them even knowing! It worked a treat and we could play games against each other from our own houses, chat to each other and transfer files to each other. This was long before broadband internet, so was quite amazing back then!

Mike.

Thank Post

forgot

You just reminded me we have a couple of psp's and an xbox live(not real hardware its the kids)
    And not forgetting my smartphone with wireless internet and email.

Thank Post
    I have a HP Proliant ML110 (3.3Ghz Dual-Core Xeon), 3GB of ram, and just over 2TB of HDD space...

Its not being used for anything that intensive either... just web development, file server, and print server..

Although I have thought about setting it up as a domain controller, but passed on it.

Thank Post
    Just wondering how many of you have servers at home or other network gear not normally found in the home.I only ask because the other half thinks i am mad and no one else would have anything like this at home.
    So you popped onto a tech forum and surveyed to reassure your other half you're ok, “look honey all of them have houses full of gear as well”

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well i still live with my parents so you can probably imagine how much greif i get but i have:

16 Port Switch
    1 HP Proliant Rack Mount Server - Running Win 2k3 as a DC
    1 2k8 Test Bed Server
    1 File server, also runs helpdesk and Website
    1 Exchange server

aswell as all the PC's i have running lol.

and going to be buying some form of storage device soon cuz i need some more space lol.

Oh i also have my 2x Xbox's... and 1x PS3 running on the network lol
    Last edited by EduTech; 7th August 2008 at 12:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    3 x Gentoo Servers of various spec, (Im in the process of decomissioning the eldest) one of which is a 3tb media server which feeds 2x Netgear Eva8000 HD Media players in the lounges . Slingbox so I can watch sky when Im on the move. Each of us has a laptop so the whole house is wireless (had to use 3 access points coz of the 3ft thick walls with lead pipes) and theres also gigabit cabling to the main rooms. 24 port gigabit switch in a rack with 2 of the servers on top of a cupboard, and a APC Smart UPS 1500 keeping it all ticking over. The print trolley has a Laserjet, a colour Xerox laser, and a A3 Deskjet.
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 7th August 2008 at 12:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    3 x Gentoo Servers of various spec, (Im in the process of decomissioning the eldest) one of which is a 3tb media server which feeds 2x Netgear Eva8000 HD Media players in the lounges . Slingbox so I can watch sky when Im on the move. Each of us has a laptop so the whole house is wireless (had to use 3 access points coz of the 3ft thick walls with lead pipes) and theres also gigabit cabling to the main rooms. 24 port gigabit switch in a rack with 2 of the servers on top of a cupboard, and a APC Smart UPS 1500 keeping it all ticking over. Oh and the print trolley has a Laserjet, a colour Xerox laser, and a A3 Deskjet.
    wow, how many clients?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just the 6 of us, each with a laptop. The Eva8000's are in constant use no-one really watches live TV now bar news and sport. Host all my domains here, local dns servers etc etc, vpn etc etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have 8 computers in the house; including a 1TB FreeNAS server, an Ubuntu server and a GeeXboX media PC that boots over PXE/NFS.

Thank Post
    I used to have:

1x 24 port cisco switch(cant remember the model#)
    1x Cisco 2600 series router
    1 PC running as a 2k3 server with DC, another running smoothwall, and another running linux. I also had a pc setup with 2003 server and MSSQL along with all the progs needed to run a ragnarok online server for me and a few mates in america - that poor thing was a p3 933 with 1gb of ram, it took 1 hour to get everything stable enough to use lol and the fans were constantly going at full speed.

I have no idea how I used to sleep with all that going on

Then I moved in with my girlfriend(now wife) - not a chance of taking all this stuff with me I managed to take 1 workstation and 1 laptop with me, the rest is still at my parents

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast