+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, IPCOP Advice Please in Technical; Right I am looking to install and run ipcop, packetfence or possibly both on out school during the summer it ...
    Thank Post

IPCOP Advice Please

Right I am looking to install and run ipcop, packetfence or possibly both on out school during the summer it just depends on how much time I have to test and configure both.

I am in the process of setting up ipcop on a pc we have lying around the office, it has two cards on for RED and GREEN interfaces.

I am just struggling to assign an address to each of the interfaces, I understand that to route properly the addresses have to be on separate subnets.

The school ip addresses are setup as follows

192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 used for gateway, servers, switches etc
    192.168.1.1 - 192.168.9.254 used for dhcp

I guess for the GREEN interface a reserved dhcp would be the way to go, its the RED interface I am having issues with.

Should the RED interface have an address from the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 range? I am concerned that if ipcop thinks this is the external network will there be any issues regarding traffic between the servers and the clients? I assume with the web interface of ipcop rules for traffic can be configured but I am not conviced this is the right way to go.

Would it be wise to change the dhcp scope and have a subnet assigned just to the gateway, proxy and ipcop for use on the RED interface?

Is there actually a problem here or am I just over thinking this any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Thank Post
    GREEN should be on the range with your servers... this is the address all your clients will see. RED is the outside world so it would be an IP on the same subnet as your router/net connection (you don't mention what this is though).

I run IPCop at home... GREEN = 192.168.10.1 and RED is assigned an IP via DHCP from my Sky Broadbandrouter jobbie (it's something like 192.168.0.200).

3. Thanks to Ric_ from:

AngryITGuy (29th July 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    GREEN should be on the range with your servers... this is the address all your clients will see. RED is the outside world so it would be an IP on the same subnet as your router/net connection (you don't mention what this is though).
    I see wil have to get on to our ISP and request an external IP address, our internet access is provided by the LA here.

Thanks

Thank Post
    You *should* be OK to NAT from one "internal" range to another *if* that's really what you want to do - SmoothWall Firewalls & IPCop (being of teh same gene pool) are really designed as edge devices tho.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread