+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Netgear GSM7224 L2 Port Trunking Help ! in Technical; Hi All, If anyone out there uses the above swicth in a VLAN environment can you please tell me if ...
    Thank Post

Netgear GSM7224 L2 Port Trunking Help !

Hi All,

If anyone out there uses the above swicth in a VLAN environment can you please tell me if the uplink ports need to be set as trunked or if this is done automatically by the switch.

I have gone over the admin manual 3 times now and cannot find anything about trunking ports.

Any help would be great.

Thank Post
    quick bump

Thank Post
    They don't need to be trunked. I have a GSM7212 (same thing just 12 ports) in a vlan environment where the uplink port isn't trunked at the moment, thats a job for next week.

On the Netgear switches it is refered to as Link Aggregation and just to confuse things, on the web based control panel it's under Switch -> Port Channel -> Config

Once you've created a trunk just include it in a vlan as you do with the physical ports.

Hope that helps.

Thank Post
    I would assume you need to tag all the vlans being used on or passing through the switch as with the procurves.

You just need to tag each end of the links

Code:
    Core-----UPLINK------Edge 1-----UPLINK----Edge 2
    VLAN 1----(Tagged)---VLAN 1
    VLAN 2----(Tagged)---VLAN 2----(Tagged)---VLAN2
    The only reason you wouldn't tag the uplinks at each end is with gvrp.

Thank Post

terminology cock up

Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    They don't need to be trunked. I have a GSM7212 (same thing just 12 ports) in a vlan environment where the uplink port isn't trunked at the moment, thats a job for next week.

On the Netgear switches it is refered to as Link Aggregation and just to confuse things, on the web based control panel it's under Switch -> Port Channel -> Config

Once you've created a trunk just include it in a vlan as you do with the physical ports.

Hope that helps.
    You see this is another terminology cock up by various vendors in regarding to the tagging mechanism used. It appears that Netgear calls is Link aggregation, this means completely different in cisco as this referes to in cisco as combining two ports to provider a fatter pipe like teaming the two network cards, bonding tow links together.

The fact that web gui says port channel, makes me think that it probably is bonding the links and not trunking.

I wish the vendors would agree with one set of terminology, it would make likfe so much easier esp. in a mult-vendor scenario.

One way to remember is that trunk links carry traffic from multiple vlans. yes the trunks can be aggregated or bonded to provide more bandwidth but this is different to the actual trunk operation. Its primary goal is to provide uplink connections and to carry traffic from multiple vlans by tagging the frames with info about the vlan etc so the reciveing switch knows which vlan this frame is for.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Can ayone help me with a similar issue on the same switch (GSM7224) . I am trying to create a seperate VLAN to run our wireless network and I am struggling to create a trunk port (to use alongside vmware hosts). I have two ports (1 and 2) and set these up as VLAN5. When I plug devices into each port I am able to ping either device without a problem. All fine and good.

I am then trying to setup port 21 (Marked with a T on the switch - trunk I presume) to carry the default LAN1 (deafult config and haven't had to do anything) and my new VLAN5. In the vmware host I've already setup the port group to use VLAN 5. I've tried it as it is as the port is marked as a trunk port thinking it would carry the VLAN5 data by default. I was unable to ping from port 1 or 2 across the trunk port to my vmware host.

In order to create the VLAN here's the steps I have take:

In webui > System > Switch > VLAN > Config. I created a new VLAN 5 and included ports 1 and 2 (working fine between ports) and then tagged port 21 (to be used as the trunk port). In the default VLAN1 I excluded port 1 and 2.

Here's the VLAN status:
    VLAN ID VLAN Name VLAN Type Slot/Port Member Ports
    1 Default Default 0/3 0/4 0/5 0/6 0/7 0/8 0/9 0/10 0/11 0/12 0/13 0/14 0/15 0/16 0/17 0/18 0/19 0/20 0/21 0/22 0/23 0/24
    5 Wireless Network Static 0/1 0/2 0/21

Anyone any ideas how I can get the trunk ports up and running?

Thank Post
    OK this is probably a stupid question but where does your vmware host sit and on which vlan(s) does it sit on?

Thank Post
    Hi,

I've managed to get it sorted now.

The vmware host is connected into port 21 (Labelled as a trunk on the switch front). All of the data was running on one untagged vlan originally but we now need to use a couple more.

In order to get it working I had to carry out another additional task. I had to go into VLAN > Port Config. Put in the VLAN id I just created and then highlight the ports (Excluding trunk 21) and submit the changes.

Here's the display from the switch after the changes have been made

Slot/Port Port VLAN ID Acceptable FrameTypes IngressFiltering Priority
    0/1 5 Admit All Disabled 0
    0/2 5 Admit All Disabled 0
    0/21 1 Admit All Disabled 0

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread