+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, 100mb Leased Lines in Technical; Hello, Does anybody on this forum have a 100mb leased line?? If so would you mind telling me(or PM) how ...

Thank Post

100mb Leased Lines

Hello,

Does anybody on this forum have a 100mb leased line?? If so would you mind telling me(or PM) how much you pay per year, installation/connection and which company you use.

I would just like some rough figures to work with, I don't want to get involved in ringing for quotes for something which will probably never happen!

thanks

Andy

Thank Post
    I don't have one, but I did look at it. Costs were: 9k setup and 13k per year from Synetrix.

Hope that helps!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    I don't have one, but I did look at it. Costs were: 9k setup and 13k per year from Synetrix.

Hope that helps!
    I would suspect that that is a heavily subsidised service because synetric manages your regional broadband network therefore can provide 100mbps over dark fibre at that sort of price....going to a commercial provider for an ethernet internet connectivity at anywhere from 2mbps - 1gbps is going to be considerably more expensive. I haven't done sufficient analysis of provider offerings, but a cursory glance suggests Zen internet provide Ethernet internet connectivity starting at 500 a month for a 2mbps service. A traditional E1 and above leased line internet link would also start at that kind of price.

A point-to-point ethernet private wire to link two offices would have a different pricing structure and again variable if distances between the two sites exceeds 25 km.

If you can get 100mbps from an RBC or LEA all well and good, but it's probably going to be very expensive - especially if they don't own the fibre... doing it independently is going to be astronomical.
    Last edited by torledo; 3rd July 2008 at 10:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I would suspect that that is a heavily subsidised service because synetric manages your regional broadband network therefore can provide 100mbps over dark fibre at that sort of price....
    Yes, the LgFL subsidise it

Thank Post
    Another thing to remember is that the installation of a LES fibre optic bearer is going to be considerably more expensive than an PDH/SDH copper bearer. But operational costs will be lower for ethernet than SDH....hence the substantial installation fee and reasonable operating costs of the synetrix link adamf mentioned.

Any ISP will link you to their nearest PoP over fibre within 25km to keep the costs down, but the installation costs are going to be expensive and bandwidth above the 2mbps of a capped ethernet internet service from a commercial provider is not going to be as cheap as schools get from their RBC's/LA's.....the advantage of going ethernet over fibre is that increasing service in 1mbps or 10mbps increments is not going to be, or rather should not be, as expensive as uprating a traditional PDH/SDH leased line. For one, fiber from the outset for a basic service does not require new physical installation costs, whereas PDH/SDH up to 8mbps is copper, and anything above that requires fiber to be pulled and more expensive router modules.

Ethernet's consistent RJ45 presentation to the CPE at up to 100mbps means no expensive CPE upgrades...big difference than with SDH.

If you haven't already done so look at a basic ethernet service, and investigate the roadmap to upping the bandwidth at later stages.

Thank Post
    We have an upgrade going through at the moment with the BGfL - the installation cost is zero because they thought ahead when they rolled out the 10mb lines to all schools and put the infrastructure in that could support 100mb.

I cannot remember the figure off the top of my head - and I am not sure it will not vary by school because of geography so not sure I should be sharing the exact figure anyway - but it is certainly less than 10k a year.

Although this is obviously only a 100mb connection to the local node of the BGfL network, rather than to the internet - so bandwidth is still going to depend hugely on what is available - but we are currently maxing our 10mb line, so that is definitely the current bottleneck - and with spikes as high as 5mbps inbound to our website I am hoping we will notice a big improvement.

Thank Post
    There is going to be a huge difference in price between a simple LAN extension and a real internet connection. Last time I looked at prices (2004) for a real connection (BT netflex) the most I could get was 34Mb and it was 132k per annum plus installation!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    There is going to be a huge difference in price between a simple LAN extension and a real internet connection. Last time I looked at prices (2004) for a real connection (BT netflex) the most I could get was 34Mb and it was 132k per annum plus installation!
    But ISP's can now provide internet connectivity using LES tails, so while it is effectively a LES circuit between the customer site and the nearest ISP PoP, ISP's can provide above and beyond the bandwidth of a 34mb SDH circuit to deliver internet connectivity without the operating expenses of traditional leased lines because they are reducing the cost of the local tails by utilising ethernet - i would say a LES internet service is still a 'real' internet connection because it's a dedicated link just like an E1 - i know of one site who have LES 2's and 10's to schools from the hub site, and an upstream LES capped at 40mb that provides internet connectivity from the ISP - much cheaper than going for an E3. So that's LES as PtP and LES as internet access, although i agree there's still a difference in pricing structure between the two. Also i think the cost of a 34mb circuit will have come down considerably since 2004....

....Metro ethernet has forced a bit of downward movement in the pricing of traditional access circuits. Where SDH still rules is in the wide area...although companies are often using a service providers mpls infrastructures (where the investment has already been made in SDH rings and ADM's by telcos) to pay only for localized ethernet access circuits in order to link disparate sites. Infact for smaller sites in this mpls vpn scenario, even lower cost ADSL access circuits are available will allow branch connectivity between distant offices over a secure network without the need for internet traversal and ipsec.

Thank Post
    I guess it probably helps if you aren't stuck on the Isle of Wight too

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have a 10mbit at the moment but I have the quote for 100mbit in front of me. Its about 7k install and 10k a year for the lease and bandwidth.

We paid 10k install for the 10mbit and 6k a year currently for on costs.

Its not that much more expensive than the 10mbit we have at the moment but the install costs from a LES to a WES circuit are the thing that's stopping me doing it at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limbo View Post
    We have an upgrade going through at the moment with the BGfL - the installation cost is zero because they thought ahead when they rolled out the 10mb lines to all schools and put the infrastructure in that could support 100mb.

I cannot remember the figure off the top of my head - and I am not sure it will not vary by school because of geography so not sure I should be sharing the exact figure anyway - but it is certainly less than 10k a year.

Although this is obviously only a 100mb connection to the local node of the BGfL network, rather than to the internet - so bandwidth is still going to depend hugely on what is available - but we are currently maxing our 10mb line, so that is definitely the current bottleneck - and with spikes as high as 5mbps inbound to our website I am hoping we will notice a big improvement.
    Out of curiosity how are you maxing a 10Mb line ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raufdean
    Out of curiosity how are you maxing a 10Mb line ?
    It seems to be just with standard internet use - but reassuringly during lesson time rather than lunchtime / after school.

We are a large school (1800+ pupils) and IT is heavily embedded into the curriculum as a tool for students and teachers.

Jay

Thank Post

LES

I'm not sure anyone elses costs will help you unless you are looking at the same geographical areas. LES is highly depended on the distance from the exchange for each end point as well as the basic cost. For a school sitting next to the exchange and with fibre already in the area the cost will be far lower than a rural school in the middle of knowhere.

Also at present BT can only do 10Mb over copper, so unless you have access to existing fibre, you would also have to pay excess charges for laying new fibre and go through the joy of civil works.

The good news is that once you have the fibre going from 10Mb to 100Mb to 1000Mb is just a matter of flicking a switch and swapping out NTEs and routers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread