+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Rename a CC3 Workstation? in Technical; We have a lot of laptops in the school I've just started in, all on RM CC3. They are due ...

Thank Post

Rename a CC3 Workstation?

We have a lot of laptops in the school I've just started in, all on RM CC3. They are due to be moved into different departments this august, and really need re-naming as the naming convention is the department name, then a machine number for ease of identifying the machines.

I've been led to believe the only way of renaming a CC3 workstation is to re-build it from scratch, which is going to take a long time when we're talking about 300 or so laptops, so is this the only way, or can the machine simply be renamed in the conventional way without screwing up CC3??

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm *very* new to CC3, so I'm not sure what it will and won't let me do yet, I'm used to a vanilla 2003 network. I was going to just try renaming one, but ther might be other reasons why I shouldn't do it that may not show up straight away, as I know CC3 can be tempermental, so I thought I'd ask the experts!

Many thanks,

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope, not possible. Only way to do it is to rebuild them. If you have the Local Support Tools installed, you can rebuild remotely from the RMMC.

3. Thanks to webman from:

maniac (26th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Nope, not possible. Only way to do it is to rebuild them. If you have the Local Support Tools installed, you can rebuild remotely from the RMMC.
    Thanks (I think!)

Looks like we've got a busy summer ahead of us, only been using CC3 for 2 weeks and I'm already disliking it. Most of the machines we need to rebuild can't even be built with the proper RM build disks, as the correct drivers arn't loaded into it apparently, so they're currently being imaged with a basic build using Partimage, then being added to RM with the RM build tools manually. I really need some training on RM, but don't have the time to fit it in before we need this completed!

Ah well, at least this will only need doing on this scale once!

Also, when re rebuild them with a different name, will the RM software realise they are the same physical machine, or will we end up with loads of redundant machine accounts in the system somewhere??

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 26th June 2008 at 11:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can use the RM Build Disk Manager tool to create different disk configurations with the required drivers; or add new drivers if they're not already in. Using bootable USB drives speeds up the build process on PCs that support USB booting - use the HP tool to copy from A: to USB drives.

If you get your machines to a base XP install, you can make them CC3 by doing a 'Smart Client'.

When you rebuild with a different name, just delete the old workstation from the RMMC - this should remove their respective DNS entry too and any other things RM uses to keep tracks on them.

For more information, have a look on the RM support site for TEC1010827 (technical spotlight on CC3 build process). If you don't have access drop me a PM and will see what I can do
    Last edited by webman; 26th June 2008 at 11:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    If you get your machines to a base XP install, you can make them CC3 by doing a 'Smart Client'.
    That's what we're doing at the moment, which is what I meant by RM build tools in the post above! Still getting used to their terminology, so many things on the RM system seem very odd compared to what I'm used to working with.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread