This is not confirmed as yet; however there may be a rogue update around. I have been carrying out testing within an AD lab environment and discovered of late that it couldn't connect to the internet and nor could the anti virus etc update, I could ping other machines on the LAN via IP but not hostname.
I then checked the DNS server it' self, this was fine, however on checking the actual local servers DNS, it was totally wrong and pointing to a random client machine.
As well as that, on testing a group policy out, I discovered it was failing to pick any changes, I checked the machine was being detected within AD and it was, on checking the local machines name, it was displaying as I had original set it to, however on the 'This computer' drop box before logging in, it was displaying something totally random, it looked like the name of a windows update (checked, it's not), but within comp properties, it was still displaying the original hostname. I took it out of AD and put it back in, this time AD detected the hostname as the random hostname. This time I renamed the PC to something totally different re and then re-added it to AD and all is working fine. The internet is being detected on the DC, antivirus is updated and the machines are picking up the GPO.
The only thing is, none of the machines have received any updated as I had this switched off. Only the server 2003 AD DC was receiving MS update’s which were Okayed through the WSUS.
Has anyone else has anything like this happen to them recently.
Last edited by acrobson; 26th June 2008 at 09:54 PM.
Hmmm, I have had all the symptoms you describe before on a couple of occasions in many places i have worked. (except the computer name not being right in the drop down box) i have allways solved it by moving the pc to a workgroup them moving it back on the domain.
Personally it dosent sound like any rogue updates it just sounds like your DNS got its knickers in a twist and rejoining it to the domain sorted it out.
But you never know! knowing my luck the whole of my network will pick up this issue
Yeah, thats what had me wondering too. I considered the rogue update as the issue first happened when the server got the last batch of updates. DNS looks to be a good culprit too. Overall, as you said, removing it from AD and back in appears to have resolved it. Somewhat frustrating mind!
Unfortunlty there seems to be something new to frustrate me in IT every day !!!
I find my WSUS can sometimes be a moody and you need to give a kick sometimes!! Hopefully for you it was just a one off!!