+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Moving away from RM in Technical; Stay away from RM CC4!!!...

Thank Post
    Stay away from RM CC4!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJoyeux View Post
    Or would it be worth moving to cc4...

Our main issue is with the price RM are quoting us for hardware... the software itself is fine for the admin and the staff (oh and the children!)
    Not only our change from CC3 to CC4 was painfull. After almost a year of the server "playing" we have been let down by RM with a very bad and slow response to our complains. We (not RM) had to update the server with a SR1 which made things worst. Now the server is dead. And they are still trying to fix it online. It seems that they have nobody to come to our place and fix their mess.
    Don't reccommend RM at all. Go to ERGO... at least their computers last forever!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As much as I dislike the "Avoid xyz" ethos when theres only a personal opinion to go on armed with a googleful of complaints from anonymous others (lets face it, google enough and you'll find even more complaints about any other system you care to remember) - I have found with RM that you need to get in with certain support staff and sales individuals to get things done that little bit better. They suffer in much the same way as many other companies, taking a fair bit of faffing to get the right people. Unfortunately it's rare these days to get companies of that size and commitment that can supply that sort of service off-the-bat

Always found pushing it as far as you can until you get hold of that person, make sure you get their name and extension and become very friendly with them

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering if Hightower / Michael / any others have any particular gotchas they'd like to share regarding migrating away from CC3? We're definitely moving off RM. Fresh hardware, server 2008 R2, fresh client PCs, OS change - the works. We're faced with the option of keeping the existing AD in order to maintain user accounts & not have to rebuild a member server - or just scrap the load and do a fresh AD build. Re-creating users isn't much of an issue but rebuilding an admin server (SIMS) is a step I'd avoid if I could.

Are there problems joining new DCs to a CC3-based network? Would you expect a smooth DC promotion and subsequent demotion of the old RM DC or would you just scrap the lot and start from scratch? Will CC3 leave ugly bits hanging around in AD or does it "remove cleanly"?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    It really is not hard to go from RM to vanilla. You should perhaps prepare first. Get a lab situation going with a virtual server and a couple of virtual clients. Setup 2003/2008 whatever install dhcp and dns and active directory and get a workring machine and user group policy going with folder/desktop redirection. When I did it I kept the same type of mapped drives and shared areas that RM do so that even their MSI's work.

Thank Post
    Moving from cc3 to vanilla is easier then starting over.... AD is there alreddy, just needs tidying up, you can just hack away at the rm components untill your pure vanilla. the GINA would be my first thing to get rid of.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    It really is not hard to go from RM to vanilla. You should perhaps prepare first. Get a lab situation going with a virtual server and a couple of virtual clients. Setup 2003/2008 whatever install dhcp and dns and active directory and get a workring machine and user group policy going with folder/desktop redirection. When I did it I kept the same type of mapped drives and shared areas that RM do so that even their MSI's work.
    Thanks jsnetman - I was thinking of imaging the current RM server (to provide a way back during the lab phase) and then do the following:
    build the new server, join domain, promote to DC, transfer roles away from RM server (FSMO + file, print, dhcp etc) and then start uninstalling the RM bits one by one. Is that how you did it (or would recommend doing it) ?

Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    Moving from cc3 to vanilla is easier then starting over.... AD is there alreddy, just needs tidying up, you can just hack away at the rm components untill your pure vanilla. the GINA would be my first thing to get rid of.
    It's the "hacking away" that I'm not keen on - if there was a documented / supported migration path I'd be happy to follow it, but what I don't want to end up with is a network with problems that crop up because of RM bits that are left over in AD that become a nightmare to troubleshoot.

In the absence of a documented migration path I'd probably be tempted to do a clean install - one that I know will work problem-free, rather than try and save the effort up-front only to spend twice as much time & effort troubleshooting issues later.

Are there tools you've come across that help with this or would this migration involve trawling around manually with ADSIedit to ensure all RM bits are cleaned up?

Thanks for your help!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    We are in the process of proof of concept with CC4 having finished the commissioning ourselves, we are at phase 3 after completion of the build process to ascertain speeds and driver issues (Phase 1) and then configuring the PXE build process (Phase 2) and up to now all is well and running smoothly along with the backup process BE D2D2Tape which is running happily in the background.

So far we have no complaints and as we already have the cals for CC3 it was merely an upgrade for us and we bought our servers from Dell which saved us a packet and configured them ourselves which encapsulate 2 SANs one an SMS100 Hitachi for the staff and student work and the other a Sun 7110 for our VMs which all talk to one another quite happily.

We are so far well impressed with CC4 but are only in the proof of concept mode and not being used in anger, waiting for our SR2 to be early delivered so we can get on ready for September release.

Looking good so far
    Last edited by bossman; 10th May 2010 at 01:38 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12