+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, 3com or Cisco in Technical; I put a Cisco Aironet AP1231 setup in at the old place, worked really well and security wise they are ...

Thank Post

Re: 3com or Cisco

I put a Cisco Aironet AP1231 setup in at the old place, worked really well and security wise they are very good (set up RADIUS auth, WPA etc)

Thank Post

Please promise not to laugh!!

we have a full site wireless network which was installed when the school bought into bromcom and they sold us Samsung access points, these are actually quite reliable and we dont have that much trouble with them(too my knowledge weve only had one go wrong but as they are under the service agreement who care)

Now you did promise not to laugh didnt you

in the recent new buildings we have DLink, they seem ok apart from one that went wrong the other day and the fact that the management software occasionally looses sight of them and regularly crashes

it might also be worth looking into HP, all our switches are and they never cause a problem

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts

Dean nothing to laugh about mate as far as I can see as long as the kit works thats the main thing not everyone has the funds to be able to purchase high end kit.

Ben

Thank Post

Thanks for your advice and experiences guys I am venturing towards the Cisco kit, we do have the budget for it so I suppose it's better to get the best kit for that money. Just to confirm the security we will be putting in place will be WPA auth and Radius

Cheers

Thank Post

btw have you looked into what client cards you will be using too scotty? the APs are only half the wireless network so i would look at what cards you are using to make sure they will do what you want them to do, and as a side note, the Intel 2200BG intenal wifi cards support cisco aironet extensions (or appears to at least) which is a bonus, other cards may or may not. also, if you have any B cards you need to get them replaced for WPA to work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts

I can't recommend 2200BG cards to you though a quick google will show you how many issues people have had with them us included.

Ben

Thank Post

I've got laptops with 2200BG Int wireless on them, and they seem to connect to the network (using WEP) fine - they've actually been the most impressive internal wireless we've had. Usually I have to buy Cisco Aironet PCMCIA cards - this is the first time I've got away with it!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I've got laptops with 2200BG Int wireless on them, and they seem to connect to the network (using WEP) fine - they've actually been the most impressive internal wireless we've had. Usually I have to buy Cisco Aironet PCMCIA cards - this is the first time I've got away with it!
    The reason why is Cisco & Intel are working closely to make their products work together. See here

Thank Post

We started with 3COM, but had loads of problems with them, which lead to having to update the firmware, but this didnt really solve the problem, and the range was very more on these access points.

I moved over to Cisco and got rid of all the 3COM equipment and they are working like a dream, we only have the basic 1121 series Aironet AP's but they do the job with a good range on them, very stable and quick

Thank Post

I looked into this at depth. I was going site-wide wireless so wanted something centralised and needed the ability to use VLANs and QOS plus be super-secure.

My findings:
    * Cisco looked good but was NOT cheap
    * 3COM license their technology off somebody else (possible future repercusions?) and I heard of a few problems with their setups
    * HP have a very limited choice of products and are lacking in features
    * Ariba sounded good but I couldn't find out too much
    * Bluesocket was good quality and worked out quite cheap since they sell 'bundle packs' (this is what I went for)

Thank Post

Pay for the Cisco gear its worth it! We are now on our second wireless network after our old intel 11B network installed 4 years ago was well and truely past it.

So we now have a nice shiney new Cisco 11G network consisting of 70 Aironet AP's, secured by WPA with TKIP (instead of radius server)

The initial two choices for us were Aruba or cisco, Aruba's advantage was a central management system with rogue AP detection. And user profiling (you can charge for hotspots!) However the Aruba solution worked out considerably dearer than the Cisco solution due to the initial outlay for the central management system. The Cisco aironet solution currently has a central management system in development so this can be added in the future.

Trust me i know this YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR with wireless kit, and since having our network upgraded i am also pushing Cisco to our feeder schools, well worth the money.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12