+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Passwords in Technical; Nice idea - a throwback to the smartcard system. But how would it work if we wanted the kids to ...
    Thank Post

Re: Passwords

Nice idea - a throwback to the smartcard system. But how would it work if we wanted the kids to log into their account from home?

Thank Post

It appears to just drop a token in the users pen drive that contains an encrypted username password combo - the existing username & password work as before so lost keys and external access have the same restrictions as previously.

Having installed it at home this PM (yes sad I know) I think the interface is clunky and might not be very scaleable - it might make a good way of creating a token for users to reset theit own password on an unmanned unlock station though.

I have to get my daughter to let me install it on her machine now so that I can see how it works across the domain.

One quick downside - as written it seems to only allow the local admin account to unlock the machine (other than the logged in user)

I like the idea though - makes me wish I could program at that level - a bit to low level for VBS to cut it I think :-)

Thank Post

I seem to be monopolising this thread a bit - sorry - but I remember seeing the answer to this problem a few years back on the web, do you think I can find it now though?

Addressing the original problem of differing password policies for different users, I have found the following (paid for :-( ) product which on the face of it does what you are asking for. It might be worth a look

Password Policy Enforcer

I am going to keep trying to find the free solution I know was out there - I may be some time...

Thank Post

we are looking at using this >>> http://www.specopssoft.com/

It does exactly what you are looking for, 2 policies 1 domain

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ictex
    Is it possible to use two password policies one domain eg staff with complex passwords and students with no passwords?
    I'm pretty sure the complex password policy is only enforced when you try and CHANGE a password. As you said, pupils don't have a password so will never need to change it.
    So why not switch off the complex password policy, create all your pupil users, switch it back on then do a 'force users to change password next logon' for your staff users.
    It might even be simpler than that: does windows apply the complex password policy when admins change passwords? If not, then you can leave the policy switched on all the time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12