+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Network Ethernet over Mains in Technical; Is this any good? We have been getting problems with our broadband's SNR (2147483647 db downstream!!) The router is on ...

Thank Post

Question Network Ethernet over Mains

Is this any good?

We have been getting problems with our broadband's SNR (2147483647 db downstream!!)

The router is on an extension lead upstairs to where our PCs are, but we have been advised to move it to the master socket.

Rather than running CAT5 upstairs to another Hub, I was curious if these things are any good?

Thank Post
    Sure are, a few of our boarding houses are listed buildings etc etc therefore we cant touch anything related to internal work. We use the DLAN networking kits and they're superb for the job. Not 100% efficient but what more can you ask for.

Just make sure, wherever your using Ethernet over mains, make sure its all the same phase. Otherwise you sit there for hours trying to figure out why its not working.

3. Thanks to ahuxham from:

Gatt (27th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can’t say I have tried them but I have been told from one person they are naff and work intermittently. On the other hand another person has told me theirs is fine for basic internet traffic, they can’t cope with major traffic though.

Thank Post
    We have been getting problems with our broadband's SNR (2147483647 db downstream!!)
    Maybe routers not working properly

The router is on an extension lead upstairs to where our PCs are, but we have been advised to move it to the master socket.
    Unless your extension wiring is very dodgy (i.e you wired it yourself :P ) the chances of this being the issue are actually very much less than what the "help" desk tell you

if you plug router in downstairs does SNR change?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    @SimpleSi - This was my thought but I thought i would keep the helldesk monkeys happy and at least try it. Wil be trying it shortly..

Muppets had also stuck us on a 1Mbit profile even though we were paying for a 8Mbit one!! Think i might claim for some cash back for the last 5 months!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Muppets had also stuck us on a 1Mbit profile even though we were paying for a 8Mbit one!! Think i might claim for some cash back for the last 5 months!!
    I would you are paying for something you didn't get!

8. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Gatt (27th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    ?
    Have you asked your electrician what the phasing is like. I.e. are there more than one "lines" running through the building. I know for example here, for 2 x ICT Rooms and our Server Room we have 2 phases. One to run the server room and the other for the PC's as too not overload everything. Might be the problem ;]

Thank Post
    Is this any good?

Rather than running CAT5 upstairs to another Hub, I was curious if these things are any good?
    2 of my techies use them in their homes and swear by them. Both live in big old houses so cabling is tricky and they reckon these sort their problem just fine.

11. Thanks to jcollings from:

Gatt (27th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ackworth school has used them extensively - David Palmer is their IT guy and he was very happy with them (they have several listed buildings where running fibre etc was not going to be easy - the mains networking was much easier to set up and worked pretty well).

Thank Post
    Slightly OT - but I have seen shorter/better quality phone cables improve line speed but not by a helluva lot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Have you asked your electrician what the phasing is like. I.e. are there more than one "lines" running through the building. I know for example here, for 2 x ICT Rooms and our Server Room we have 2 phases. One to run the server room and the other for the PC's as too not overload everything. Might be the problem ;]
    are you sure there are 2 phases and not seperate disttribution boards fed from a singe phase.

we have a 415v coming into our service entrance from there several distribution boards are fed from the main panel for termination of mechanical (e.g A/C), ighting, and computer power circuits. The dizzy boards are rated for a certina amount of amps....a server room would/could/shoud be on it's own board and a beefy 3-phase ups should be hardwired to a dedicated circuit but a dedicated phase for a server room ?? no, it's overkill in most instances.

Unless you're server room needs a massive amount of juice dedicated 415v phase for server room isn't necessary, and it's not normally done except when the redundancy of seperate phases is required. Even then the phases wouldn't be for the sole use of the server room - phases would be used for all eectrical requirements in a small-to-medium sized environment.
    Last edited by torledo; 27th May 2008 at 12:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    are you sure there are 2 phases and not seperate disttribution boards fed from a singe phase.

we have a 415v coming into our service entrance from there several distribution boards are fed from the main panel for termination of mechanical (e.g A/C), ighting, and computer power circuits. The dizzy boards are rated for a certina amount of amps....a server room would/could/shoud be on it's own board and a beefy 3-phase ups should be hardwired to a dedicated circuit but a dedicated phase for a server room ?? no, it's overkill in most instances.

Unless you're server room needs a massive amount of juice dedicated 415v phase for server room isn't necessary, and it's not normally done except when the redundancy of seperate phases is required. Even then the phases wouldn't be for the sole use of the server room - phases would be used for all eectrical requirements in a small-to-medium sized environment.
    Amplitudes of servers / Core switches and the likes including Server Room AC's which arent hardwired into the phase = Single phase.

We've just had another one put in as well for the Swimming pool and Sports Hall.

Thank Post
    I've used both the Netgear and Devolo kit (they also do a homeAudio kit too). Both work fine, no trouble at all. Up and running literally as you plug them in (assuming circuits used go back to same DB).

Grade II buildings here, majority of network cabling i've laid in the loft spaces. Also, rather sneakily followed an existing hole in the wall, to the outside, up some conduit I cable tied behind a drainpipe and then in under the eves and in. I also fitted some AirCon at my last job and chucked all the pipes into some drainpipe - looked perfect.

As previously stated, they are not 100% and need a technical adjustment every now and then (on/off). But would recommend them where necessary.

Ben

17. Thanks to Ben_Stanton from:

Gatt (27th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks All...
    Next question - wheres best place to get them and whats a reasonable price for them?

Thank Post
    Thanks All...
    Next question - wheres best place to get them and whats a reasonable price for them?
    cpc.co.uk or uk.insight.com (Devolo DLAN)

20. Thanks to ahuxham from:

Gatt (27th May 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast