+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Network Ethernet over Mains in Technical; Cheers will check them out......

Thank Post
    Cheers will check them out...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I seem to re-call that internet connectivity operating over mains electricity was capable of speeds of 50Mbps or above, unless the speed is simply being capped by the ISP? Or the equipment to receive the internet this way is extremely expensive? It's strange how it hasn't taken off or that it isn't the UK's solution to a limited copper infrastructure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I seem to re-call that internet connectivity operating over mains electricity was capable of speeds of 50Mbps or above, unless the speed is simply being capped by the ISP? Or the equipment to receive the internet this way is extremely expensive? It's strange how it hasn't taken off or that it isn't the UK's solution to a limited copper infrastructure.
    I always wondered that. Wasn't there a movie once about all this jazz. A virus that could infiltrate anything via electrical socket (Maybe that's what everyones worrying about) or on a more serious note. I've noticed things take 1-2years after everyone else has it for it too catch up over here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    I always wondered that. Wasn't there a movie once about all this jazz. A virus that could infiltrate anything via electrical socket (Maybe that's what everyones worrying about) or on a more serious note. I've noticed things take 1-2years after everyone else has it for it too catch up over here.

Demon Seed by Dean Koontz? Wasn't about a virus, more a supercomputer that could think and wanted to reproduce! It took control of the house systems, and more. Read the book many years ago..........

Thank Post
    The kits work very well, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T PLUG THEM IN TO SURGE PROTECTORS! These usually contain filters which have a nice habit of filtering out the network signal along with electrical nasties.

The technology's sound, as it's basically sending a modified Wi-Fi signal down the cable, and as long as all your points are connected to the same fusebox/distro board you should be fine. Also electricity meters dampen the signal, so you won't be backfeeding your network signal to next door...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use the Devolo mains kits here. For when laptops trolleys are used where there is no network points in the rooms.

Seem to work ok, even had 32 laptops running off one device without any major problems.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Amplitudes of servers / Core switches and the likes including Server Room AC's which arent hardwired into the phase = Single phase.

We've just had another one put in as well for the Swimming pool and Sports Hall.
    Are you saying then you have a dedicated 230V supply coming into the building purely to suppy you're server room, server AC, and core switches. Seperate from the 415V or 230V supply feeding the rest of the school (except swimming pool)... Also, if you're AC isn't hardwired what is it ? one of those portable jobbies. If it's a small wall mounted unit it should receive power form the outdoor single or three-phase condenser...technically the indoor unit is still hardwired.
    Last edited by torledo; 27th May 2008 at 02:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Clarity::ADSLFiltering...

Putting one of these on the master socket as well instead of using the little pigtail filter increased my up and down speeds substantialy

Thank Post
    Hmm

we use them to connect up our old gym to the network..

we use a Point to Point Wireless Bridge between the buildings, (the gym part is where the point is, and we needed access in the changing rooms / offices)

so we then ran the AP to an Ethernet over power device and we have an ethernet over power plugged into the male staff office, this then goes into a switch and then into wireless points lol.

Id say our setup is alot more scary than what youve got planned so it should work fine .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I use Netgear Ones in a few places and they are very good bits of kit, work well and reliable.

Thank Post
    Quick note of thanks for this little nugget of a thread.. I completely forgot about this technology as an option and was all set to drill walls and put in new cabling to extend existing ports ...

Now I just need enough power plug sockets in the right places...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's a security issue you need to be aware of btw. If you and a neighbour have the same type of Ethernet over mains adaptors it's possible to link your houses together. So you'll want to ideally put a filter on your mains feed where it comes into your house to stop your EoM LAN 'escaping' down the street.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    There's a security issue you need to be aware of btw. If you and a neighbour have the same type of Ethernet over mains adaptors it's possible to link your houses together. So you'll want to ideally put a filter on your mains feed where it comes into your house to stop your EoM LAN 'escaping' down the street.
    Not sure on the Netgear but the Devolo comes with encryption although i've not tested it really.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Netgears have encryption as well details of how to do it are on the CD with the units.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Thanks All...
    Next question - wheres best place to get them and whats a reasonable price for them?

Bluepoint

If you don't have an account we these people it's well worth getting one as they are pretty cheap on lots of stuff and nice people to deal with.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12