+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Network Infrastructure Question in Technical; Originally Posted by Geoff I'd rather run GigE over Cat6 personally. Gigabit is perfectly fine over 5e, I run around ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I'd rather run GigE over Cat6 personally.
    Gigabit is perfectly fine over 5e, I run around 150 clients (rest not replaced yet) at 1Gb with no cat 6 at all. I even have one room which has passed Gb certification and its only cat 5! (although all 20m or less runs).

Thank Post
    Hmm I've heard conflicting views on Gig over Cat5e, some say it's fine others aren't so sure

Either way at the moment can't afford 18x2810s but can get 18x2610s so one day if we wanna try it the option is there I guess, tbh I doubt we're using the bandwidth of 100Mb at the moment considering there's 250 odd clients off one Gigabit link (yup I know!)

But surely if you really want full Gigabit to desktops the backbone needs to be going 10Gb to accommodate the bandwith should the clients all be going for it at once?
    Last edited by gshaw; 22nd May 2008 at 11:41 AM.

Thank Post
    we run 1Gb over cat5e. So far no major issues

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    1Gb fibre backbone, 100Mb cat5e, cat6 to every client from 100Mb switches no problems on the cat5e. All switches linked via OM3 fibre which allows for scalability to 10Gb when we update, all switches to be swapped out to allow for 1Gb connection to clients.
    Won't be swapping out switches for about another 2 years though.
    Total cost around 40k for cisco with EMIs.
    This cost is minimal when you think it will sustain the network for another 6 years if not longer less than 6K per year.
    Have had good service from Cisco and they are so easy to manage with the kit that comes with them.
    Not saying that cisco should be everyone's choice but just from our experiences we have found them to be very good.
    Last edited by bossman; 22nd May 2008 at 12:24 PM.

Thank Post
    bossman, don't want to hijack the thread but OM3 fibre, can I stick on my exsisting 1gb switchs onto it??

I admit am not really up on fibre technology. I would like to install OM3 in new builds but was worried I would have to buy new 10gb switches

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes you can do that.

Thank Post
    1GB fibre backbone to all buildings/cabinets, 100meg to desktops, there are a handful of switches that are linked via 100/1000 Cat5/5e but not many.

Am in the process of changing all Core/Edge switches to HP Procurve to give more management/monitoring over our netgear ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Best to use om3 fibre patch leads as well but yes you can.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Hmm I've heard conflicting views on Gig over Cat5e, some say it's fine others aren't so sure

Either way at the moment can't afford 18x2810s but can get 18x2610s so one day if we wanna try it the option is there I guess, tbh I doubt we're using the bandwidth of 100Mb at the moment considering there's 250 odd clients off one Gigabit link (yup I know!)

But surely if you really want full Gigabit to desktops the backbone needs to be going 10Gb to accommodate the bandwith should the clients all be going for it at once?
    so long as all the components are cat5e have been certified, so that's patch cords, panels and horizontal cable runs then gigabit over cat5e isn't a problem.

If the cabling has been installed correctly so that the permanent links and channel links have passed and meet cat5e standards then there's no need for cat6 for gigabit. I think the doubt arises becuase of cat5e being unshielded therefore prone to interference from electrical cables, but the standards say that cat5 cable trays shouldn't be shared with electrical cabling. And a professional installation will ensure things like proper bend radius, no pinchng of cable.... right down to the patch panel level.

10gbe bacbone is much easier to upgrade to....it's just a change of optics at the switch level....10gbpe can run over existing OM3 fiber so i would call it a minimay disruptive upgrade. Even with 10gbpe you'd want some sort of fault tolerance within you're backbone rather than purely going for the one fat pipe approach

Thank Post
    We have a complete Gigabit network pretty much apart from 1 or 2 rooms.:-)

Thank Post
    We have fibre links between buildings and mixture of 1gb/100mb switches. I don’t see the point of running 1gb to the desktop if you only have 1gb uplinks.

We have some Cat 6 cable that was installed before my time with cat 5 plugs! I’ve never had a problem with 1gb over Cat 5e which is a lot cheaper and easier to handle.

I would love to go to a 10gb back bone, the press have been saying it will become affordable in 12 months for the last 3 years!

Thank Post
    We're running 100mb/s to desktops with a few select machines running at 1gb/s. These machiens are used by me.

All our servers have teamed nics putting out either 2x1gb/s or 4x1gb/s into the 5406zl switch. This is then link to all the department switches and other buildings. All buildings are linked using fibre, and ports are trunked to 2gb/s and 1 3gb/s for biggest building. Our IT suite, 4 procurve 2650's are all linked to the 5406zl using 2gb/s trunks each. All switches are linked in at either 1gb/s or 2gb/s trunks.

All internal links are using cat5e while fibre conenctions are using OM2 fibre.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Harve View Post
    We're running 100mb/s to desktops with a few select machines running at 1gb/s. These machiens are used by me.

All our servers have teamed nics putting out either 2x1gb/s or 4x1gb/s into the 5406zl switch. This is then link to all the department switches and other buildings. All buildings are linked using fibre, and ports are trunked to 2gb/s and 1 3gb/s for biggest building. Our IT suite, 4 procurve 2650's are all linked to the 5406zl using 2gb/s trunks each. All switches are linked in at either 1gb/s or 2gb/s trunks.

All internal links are using cat5e while fibre conenctions are using OM2 fibre.

Sounds like the same plan i have for our system over the summer

Thank Post
    We have a right old mixture here.

All our main cabinets are linked via 1GB uplinks directly back to the core switch, the exceptions are two, one which serves a large cunk of one building which has a 3GBs trunk to the core switch. That then distributes to lots of other switches at 1GBs over fibre and some copper. There's a second in a simelar situation which has a 2GBs trunked link to the core switch and distributes to lots of other switches in the same cabinet and one on the floor underneath via copper Gigabit (all on cat5e, and all works well)

A few areas of our network are linked at 1GBs to desktop but we've found it makes little difference to be honest. One machine on its own logs on quicker, but a class of 30 still takes the same sort of time, as the uplink is the limiting factor.

All our servers are connected at Duel Gigabit to the core switch using teamed HP network cards, although our existing 4108gl which acts as our core switch can't cope with more than 8 trunks, so some of them don't work at their optimum. New core switch going in next week thou, it all arrived on Friday

We do have some segments of our network with old unmanaged netgear switches on which are all 100MBs uplinked, but we are slowly phasing these out.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I was a little cynical about upgrading to gigabit but having done it and used port trunking between switches the network is now does ghost images far quicker.

However I would go for managed switches as when you get a problem it is far easier to see where it is.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast