+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Students and Network Cables in Technical; Originally Posted by Ric_ I don't patch in unused ports - reduced the chance of this and people randomly plugging ...
    Thank Post

Re: Students and Network Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    I don't patch in unused ports - reduced the chance of this and people randomly plugging rogue equipment in
    Indeed - I dont generally, tho people/pupil around here dont generally touch the blank/open ports on the walls.

The county used to (when they fitted networking equipment for us) put a patch lead for every port but when they sub-contracted the work to a (crap) company called Daton, they didnt patch up all the ports each time.

Its nice to have the cables tho - beats making them lol I tend to leave them in the cabs ready for a port to be patched if needed but generally unplugged for ones not in use (for the exact reason you state Ric )

Cheers,
    N.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have 600 ports and some 250+ bits plugged into them - it'd be a nightmare to keep the unused ones unpatched.

Our kids stuff pencils in the unplugged sockets as well as paper and chewing gum.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Paper clips are more fun. You can make interesting smells in the switch cabinet if you do it right.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

eek!

Thank Post

Just found this thread, sounds like a problem we had the other day that mysterisouly vanished!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Paper clips are more fun. You can make interesting smells in the switch cabinet if you do it right.
    That doesn't sound good (gulps) is there anyway to prevent that (apart from asking teachers to supervise kids)???

Thank Post

Don't patch in the unused ports - that way it is more noticeable if something a port is being abused.

You can also buy sockets that are covered over but these are expensive - I'm thinking of fashioning a device to stop the brats unplugging cables. Oh the fun that they have.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    That doesn't sound good (gulps) is there anyway to prevent that (apart from asking teachers to supervise kids)???
    Don't buy Power over Ethernet enabled switches.

Thank Post

Happened to me. Think it was malicious, loop plugged into Library switch, which is only there because they slammed desklegs into the data points and trashed them. Took me a few hours to sort, but I did. Nobody cared.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    Here's a sort of tip for anyone who's Network suddenly goes really slow then dies.

This is the second time this has happened to our network here, and it's such a simple mistake the students can do.

Anyways, today at about 09:30 the school network decided to take a nose dive in performance. I hate it when this happens. Panic starts and alarm bells ring.

I ran some packet watching software that monitors all network movement and it was through the roof. Luckily, as I've said, I'd seen this before.

Bascially, one of the students noticed a network cable unplugged and being the helpful sort decided to plug it back into an RJ45 wall socket. Very sweet. The only problem being that the other end was also plugged into the RJ45 wall socket next to it.

This then sent the network crazy and a million phone calls came in telling me the network was not working, or did I know it was not working etc. Then my radio goes off telling me the same.

I then had to keep running the packet watching software and unplug one fibre link at a time to wittle down the rooms until I found where the problem was. Took about 20 mins to re-set the system which I thought was quite good for me as the first time was nearly two days. ops:

So if you have the same remember the above.

Thank Post

I've started to come down hard on people messing around with the PC's , system and network in anyway, shape or form. They get a public telling off and then the 'you signed the AUP' speech. They then get warned that if it happens again it's detention, and then a suspension for another breach after that.

Thank Post

I wish we cud enforce that somehow too you know

Seems as if they can mess around as much as they like sometimes and certain individuals dont bother to do anything to stop them

Nath

Thank Post

The point is that every teacher in my school was given a laptop, purportedly for wireless registration. Except now, they expect a laptop AS A RIGHT, not the privilege it should be regarded as. ICT has now become the universal panacea for delivering education to students; I say no, a GOOD teacher can deliver an interesting, enlivening, engaging lesson with just their ability. Data projectors, IWBs are great in the right hands, disastrous in the wrong hands. I point these things out, but SLT don't listen. They will readily admit they don't understand ICT in that "Ooh God, what would we do without you?" way, but they will not listen to someone who has been at the bleeding edge for too many years.

And no Ric, I won't identify myself - I am that paranoid!

Thank Post

The thing to remember about spanning tree protocol is not to enable on access points i.e. ports where the PCs/Workstations connect becuase eveyrtime something is connected to the port and has STP enabled on it will do a check on that port to see if there are no loops on the network. This delays the connection by approx 15 sec which is not a lot but of course most PCs are nowadays so fast at booting up it may cause a probelm and may take some time to "Prepare Network Connections".

The solution is to enable STP on ports that connect to other switches i.e. ulinks etc.

Ashok.

Thank Post

We've had this recently (twice now in the past year) and we can't turn on STP for various reasons (connections to hubs, possible unknown connections which might cause loops that would be hard to trace etc). You need to be careful when turning it on when you have services like DHCP running- those requests from clients might fail with errors that the server can't be contacted. There's a 15 second delay as the STP protocol configures itself (but this can be turned off).

Paul

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ssimstar
    The point is that every teacher in my school was given a laptop, purportedly for wireless registration. Except now, they expect a laptop AS A RIGHT, not the privilege it should be regarded as. ICT has now become the universal panacea for delivering education to students; I say no, a GOOD teacher can deliver an interesting, enlivening, engaging lesson with just their ability. Data projectors, IWBs are great in the right hands, disastrous in the wrong hands.
    HERE HERE!

It makes me SO annoyed when I hear "the whiteboard/projector/network is playing up, and I NEED it for my lesson."

I was taught from books, on chalkboards. We occasionally got a video, or on one memorable occasion a loaned videodisc player with the doomsday project on it, that staff were scared to touch. We had 10 minutes every few months on Prestel.

I'd say I got a better education that this lot do. My missus was educated here, and she has huge gaps in her general knowledge etc..I find it quite shocking TBH. I never minded a "drier" education either! The chalkboards taught me to duck the "teacher hurled" rubber if I was talking etc. If they liked you, you got the soft chalky side-if not, you got the wooden one, and that hurt.

You just CAN'T get the same effect with SMARTBoards.. More's the pity.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast