+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, What do you think of this plan? in Technical; Finally we're sorting out some of the mess of cabling that's floating around this place and doing it properly this ...
    Thank Post

Post What do you think of this plan?

Finally we're sorting out some of the mess of cabling that's floating around this place and doing it properly this time

Currently 2 split networks for admin and teaching (likely to stay for another year or so then likely it could be merged)

Current:

Main server room, severs with Gigabit links to main switch. Then linked to a stack of Allied Telesyn switches (3 x 48 port) at each end of the building with bundles of Cat5e to desktops (messy messy messy!) Cable management around the 48 port switches minimal to say the least

New:

Comms cabs in strategic places in the building to serve blocks of rooms (about 3 rooms per cab it works out). HP 5406zl to replace >5yr old 4104gl on teaching side (thinking ahead for if we were to merge onto the one switch). Redundant PSUs etc, also getting a spare chassis so if it becomes the main switch further down the line there's some failsafe there as well.

Fiber links from the 5406 to room cabs (9U or 12U) with 2610-24s (fanless), stacked if necessary via CAT6 link off the dual personality ports. Largest stack would be 3 switches, with 3rd one barely used i.e. 4\24 ports used. I'm guessing the link for the stack would just be the one Gigabit cable, HP don't exactly make it clear...

Admin side keeps its 5308xl for now, just buying 2x 4 port mini GBIC cards for the fiber links

Sticking with 100MB to desktops as it's unlikely that's even being used atm (Adult Education so a bit less demanding than some places) and the Cat6 cable seems to be a bit of a pain anyway from what I've heard...

Shopping list looks like this atm...

2 x 4 port mini GBIC module for 5308XL (for our current core switch)

18 x HP 2610-24 10\100 switch (from looking at specs it seems to be a fair bit superior in terms of switching capacity compared to the 2510

2 x HP 5406zl bare chassis (1 to be build up with the modules below, other will just have the PSU installed as a spare)
    3 x HP 5406zl PSU (2 in main switch, 1 in spare)
    1 x 24-port copper Gigabit module for 5406zl (to go in main switch)
    1 x 24-port mini GBIC module for 5406zl (to go in main switch)

24 x Gigabit SX-LC Mini GBIC (to fit the GBIC cards \ ports on the 5308, 5406 and 2610 switches)
    24 x SC to LC fiber patch lead (from patch panel to GBIC)

1 x 28 port (or nearest size) SC fibre patch panel
    7 x 8 port SC fibre patch panel

Does that sound about right?

Thank Post
    Out of interest how many PC's you going to be connecting up?

have you thought about using a 48 port switch instead of a 24 port in certain areas?

You could always use vLAN running on HP switches - to help merge...

Thank Post
    Overall workstations across both networks is around 400 - thought about 48 ports but was advised to go for 24's, partly due to cable management and also thinking about intrusiveness in classrooms as the romms aren't that big and don't want fan noise really...

Each set of switches will do about 25-50 PCs depending on location. If we were to merge later on I'd have 2 fibre links still and make 2 stacks to keep bandwidth up

Thank Post
    Sounds about right... i don't even have that many students here to worry about!

Thank Post

Question

Main things I want to try and confirm are...

- switch stacks (Gigabit bits)... not ideal maybe but seems the only way to keep with the fanless kit, rooms are quite small so fan noise could end up being too intrusive

- fanless heat dissipation, how have people found 2510s \ 2610s in comms cabs, any overheating?

- Gigabit, how many people have gone for it to desktops? Seems a bit overkill to me for here and would whack the switch price up by a factor of 10...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Main things I want to try and confirm are...

- switch stacks (Gigabit bits)... not ideal maybe but seems the only way to keep with the fanless kit, rooms are quite small so fan noise could end up being too intrusive

- fanless heat dissipation, how have people found 2510s \ 2610s in comms cabs, any overheating?

- Gigabit, how many people have gone for it to desktops? Seems a bit overkill to me for here and would whack the switch price up by a factor of 10...
    The "stacking" feature of the Procurves is simply a managment one that lets you access multiple switches with a single ip. Going from Core -> switch 1 -> switch 2 -> client is introducing a rather nasty bottleneck and really you should aim for all switches being directly connected to the core. I'm not aware of any backplane stacking like other manufacturers (although there are some with 10Gb ports that are used for this 2900s etc).

Things to remember, all procurves are a funny shape. They often need a 550mm deep cabinet, especially the 48 ports. Just remember to check the depth on the specs.

Thank Post
    Gigabit, how many people have gone for it to desktops? Seems a bit overkill to me
    Never underestimate the speed which staff expect!
    Anything that can speed something up, I'd consider (well, within reason anyway!)

We are making the move to gigbit soon too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread