+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Teacher wants to acess home folder from standalone laptop in Technical; Originally Posted by bigjb Do you have the name of the plugin? I would be interested to have a look. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjb View Post
    Do you have the name of the plugin? I would be interested to have a look.
    Moodle: webSMBClient block
    Moodle: Modules and plugins

Thank Post
    Right. I looked at the instructions from Grumbledook, at home because they are blocked by LEA filter. They are very comprehensive, but maybe a bit complicated for my current level of knowledge; and at the moment I only need teachers to be able to access home folders from within school.

I was fairly sure we had rdp and ts set up here. But I've only ever used it as admin to connect to the server remotely as admin. Anyway, I've just done an experiment with ts on rdp, using mstsc with a staff username and password. Took a deep breath and tried to make the connection - sorry, but this feels strange to be allowing an ordinary user to connect to the server! Anyway, it more or less worked. It loaded and applied the user settings, as happens when you log on to a client normally. I got access to the correct home folder. The only thngs that weren't quite right were that I was missing some desktop icons (my computer, my documents, some others) and the menu was the standard XP one and not our enforced classic menu. And it was a bit slow.

So, a few further questions:

1. Can I fix the desktop items and get the correct start menu by making some changes to GP? If so, any ideas as to where?

2. Is this going to seriously cause load/speed issues if we have eight teachers connecting to the server this way to access their home folders?

Thank Post
    we used to do this a while ago on teachers laptops that they brought in from home, if i remember correctly we would map drives to there home drives and staff resources with reconnect at logon ticked.

as long as you kept there log on credentials the same as there network account when they logged on the drives would map automatically.

hope this helps

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Ah, wondered if it was the persistent bit that I was getting wrong. However:

1. Using your command line, would the user be prompted for username and password, or do I have to add in the other switches/parameters for that?
    2. Once the user has entered their credentials, wouldn't they still be given access even if they close their home folder? In other words, wouldn't the connection stay until the user logged off the laptop? I would want the teacher to be prompted each time they tried to access the folder (although, of course, that doesn't take account of those who will just minimise the folder window!).
    3. I would presumably need to have to create some sort of batch/command file with this in that the teacher could run, or that would run on startup?
    I think I can see what you're trying to do but not why!

You have some teachers who bring in their own laptops and want to access files they have in their home dirs on your network - that's fine and you've got a solution which allows them to do that.

Instead of just allowing them to do that, however, you appear to want to make life difficult - forcing them to enter a password every time they want access to a folder? I'm guessing you have got a reason (I'm hoping it's not just because you want to make life difficult for your users :-)) but I can't think what it is!

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Unfortunately not.

Hmm,

Thats strange, this method works fine for me...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Jon View Post
    Hmm,

Thats strange, this method works fine for me...
    Sorry! I meant that unfortunately the user credentials aren't the same, not that that method doesn't work... Ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by srochford
    You have some teachers who bring in their own laptops and want to access files they have in their home dirs on your network - that's fine and you've got a solution which allows them to do that.

Instead of just allowing them to do that, however, you appear to want to make life difficult - forcing them to enter a password every time they want access to a folder? I'm guessing you have got a reason (I'm hoping it's not just because you want to make life difficult for your users ) but I can't think what it is!
    The laptops are not being brought in from home, but they are teacher laptops supplied by the school not on the domain. They spend most of their time connected up to IWBs, and sometimes teachers forget to lock their desktops when they leave the classrooms. Staff can already access a shared folder on the network with teaching resources in it, but now one senior member teaching staff has asked if he can have access to his home folder. I explained to him that it could be done, but that if he left his desktop open then potentially a pupil could get into his home folder and possibly access sensitive data (reports, SEN stuff, etc). So he asked if I could find a more secure way of doing this.

Thank Post
    If you've got Exchange 2007 Outlook Web Access provides access to UNC shares as well (read only)

Thank Post
    Sorry for butting in. Firstly thanks for all the suggestions, we want to run our curriculum laptops as stand-alone to reduce network traffic, but need students to get to their home folders. Secondly I do not think rdp is the best solution, however if you go down this route you need to be aware you need to buy CALS if you want more than two simultaneous connections.

Thank Post
    Ranger Outpost - Got to love it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12