+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Cisco 1800 Series Router in Technical; We had a leased line installed by BT and they set it up with a Cisco 1800 router. Now I ...

Thank Post

Cisco 1800 Series Router

We had a leased line installed by BT and they set it up with a Cisco 1800 router. Now I haven't given this out to the rest of the school until we are happy with it.

We are having an issue at the moment with it, after about a week of my dept using the line, we lose all connection. We just reboot router and everything works again.

At the moment we have The cisco 1800 running into a D-Link Netdefend DFL-1600 firewall.

Any suggestions or has anyone had any experience with the 1800 series?

Thank Post
    I've got experience of them in a lab environment.

What you should be doing is setting up the syslog stuff and logging out to a log server to see what's going on for a start in my opinion.

If the router was supplied by BT and they configured it then you should be getting in touch with them to come and troubleshoot it for you.

What kind of leased line have you got? It'd be useful to know. (If you say you've got frame relay I'm going to run the other way screaming...just so you know )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    I've got experience of them in a lab environment.

What you should be doing is setting up the syslog stuff and logging out to a log server to see what's going on for a start in my opinion.

If the router was supplied by BT and they configured it then you should be getting in touch with them to come and troubleshoot it for you.

What kind of leased line have you got? It'd be useful to know. (If you say you've got frame relay I'm going to run the other way screaming...just so you know )
    It's not going to be frame relay.

It's more likely his leased line is either megastream or LES (2 or 10)...

if it's megastream2 it's likely to be a pair of copper wires using HDSL technology. You've got to be spending some serious money and start with a 34mbps+ service to get SDH proper.

Although it could be another product if it's an internet access line.

Is the 1800 a manged router ? if so, you can't touch it...it's BT or the ISP's responsibiliy.
    Last edited by torledo; 7th May 2008 at 01:15 PM.

4. Thanks to torledo from:

TronXP (7th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Its a LES 10 and a managed router, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something stupid I was doing wrong. I can remember reading somewhere about an issue with cisco routers and flow control on the D-Link switches we are using.

To be honest BT (who i normally hate) have been good on the support lines about problems/issues/queries so far. I just don't want them to send out an engineer and find out I've made a school boy error

Thank Post
    Yeah, the only reason I mentioned the frame relay was because it cropped up on an exam about remote access networks this morning and I've had my fill of it But yes...as both I and torledo have said, if it's managed get BT to sort it. It may even be their DCE equipment that's dropping the line and your serial interface (if that's what it's using??) is not picking it back up again.

(Just reading your post that appeared after I hit post...LES 10 that's ethernet into the router right? Flow control issues LAN side wouldn't drop your internet connection I wouldn't have thought. If you can get a machine and plug it in direct to the router LAN ethernet port via crossover and see what happens and if you can get the connection drop it isn't your dlink kit)

7. Thanks to Joedetic from:

TronXP (7th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Its fibre into the comm room, then there is what I assume is some sort of convertor then from that it comes out as ethernet into the router.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    Its a LES 10 and a managed router, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something stupid I was doing wrong. I can remember reading somewhere about an issue with cisco routers and flow control on the D-Link switches we are using.

To be honest BT (who i normally hate) have been good on the support lines about problems/issues/queries so far. I just don't want them to send out an engineer and find out I've made a school boy error
    You could be right about that....my advice is to hard code the speed and duplex setting for the ethernet port on you're d-link which connects to the 1800's ethernet port.

Ask BT what speed it should be hardcoded to (10 or 100mbps) if indeed BT recommend you do so.

Alterntaively get a proper switch cisco 2960's are very kewl.

You're right about the converter...there should be a media converter locked in a box somewhere that'll convert from fibre to copper....basically means telco's can save a mint by not having expensive ethernet modules in they're routers at the customer premise....it's not even that expensive equipment wise to built out an ethernet MAN utilising dark fibre or LES with cisco 6500's or 7600's in the core.
    Last edited by torledo; 7th May 2008 at 02:33 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread