+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Help! Can't disconnect standalone laptop from a network share. in Technical; I think I may have done something stupid! Our staff laptops are not on the domain, but staff wanted access ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Help! Can't disconnect standalone laptop from a network share.

I think I may have done something stupid! Our staff laptops are not on the domain, but staff wanted access to printers and a central resource share on the server. On one of the laptops, I set the printers up first using add printer and giving the network address of the printer; when prompted for a username and password I gave a very basic level user. OK.

Then I used create shortcut to connect to the network share. I just right clicked on the desktop, chose to create a shortcut, put in the pathname to the share and gave the shortcut a name. I wasn't prompted for username or password, presumably because this was taken from the connection to the printers.

The problem is that there are certain folders in the central resource share that are set up so they are only accessible to teacher users, and this teacher wants access to these and doesn't have that access because of the basic user credentials I used to make the connection. And now I don't seem to be able to disconnect and reconnect with the correct credentials.

I tried going to command prompt, and typing net use * /delete /yes. That seemed to clear the connection, but then when I used net use to make the new connection I get a message telling me that I can't connect the same share to two different users, or similar, and I need to disconnect the share first.

Do I have to clear the printers too??? What have I done wrong??? Help! Please!

Thank Post
    click start, run, the type without quotes 'control userpasswords2'

then click on the Advanced Tab, then Manage Passwords. Delete the one for that network location if its listed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    click start, run, the type without quotes 'control userpasswords2'

then click on the Advanced Tab, then Manage Passwords. Delete the one for that network location if its listed.
    Do I then need to still do the net use * /delete /yes bit? And then reconnect with net use? Do I need to reboot?

The only reason I ask is that I have just gone down to the laptop to try this out, and I have deleted the connection to the server/domain as in your instructions. But the teacher still had some files open, some of which come from the accessible part of the share. And even though I have just deleted the access credentials, I can still get access to the share as that basic user. I also tried using Add to add in the correct password, but it still wouldn't let me access the Staff Only folder.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread