+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Cisco smartport in Technical; Hi We have 2 Cisco 2950 switches. One has a date of 2004 and the other 2005. When I access ...

Thank Post

Cisco smartport

Hi

We have 2 Cisco 2950 switches. One has a date of 2004 and the other 2005.

When I access the switches using their ip the 2005 has a much better interface with smartport settings etc. The 2004 has a really basic interface.

How can I make the 2004 one like the 2005 one?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Check your IOS versions on each switch and you'll probably find that they are running different versions.

Then you'll need to check the memory on the switches. Check that the one with the naff IOS on to see if it's got enough space to put the decent one on using tftp.

What you'll want to do before you do that is to backup your startup-config and check with Cisco about the licensing implications of this because I'm not sure you're "allowed" to do this.

If, however, you're referring to the http gui...shame on you You'll need to look at the versions of IOS /and/ the http interface.

Thank Post
    As Joe has said, you're switches are running different cisco IOS versions therefore they will have non-identical versions of the web gui....

i'm assuming the nice funky gui on the newer switch is CMS and the plain old gui is either an older version of CMS or something other than CMS.

You had problems in a previous thread where you were complaiing of a 404 error when accessing the web console on the 2004 switch... i take it you've replaced the missing files so you're no longer getting the 404 but you're getting a very basic http administrative gui , to get the CMS gui you'll need to upgrade the switch to an indentical or later IOS version than the 2005 switch, merely upgrading the html folder won't do it.

If you want to play around with gui's why didn't you buy a d-link or something similar ?....if you want to carry on using cisco stop being such a lightweight and start using the CLI. Lateron you can use whatever GUI you fancy to administer the 2950. But don't run before you can walk is my advise, the CLI should be the first option for config.

Sorry to be so harsh but it's a pet hate of mine. The only cisco kit i've used the gui for config is the aironet 1240, and even then it was becaus i had to get the AP's up and working asap....the gui still sucked.

So when i had the time i returned to cli configuration.

Thank Post
    To be brutally honest if you want to actually understand fully what you're doing to your switches CLI is the best way to go as Torledo mentioned. The cisco training materials teach CLI configs as far as they can. For devices like the APs (some of which don't do CLI very well so I'm told), PIXs and ASAs GUI is more acceptable.

PIX and ASA are most easily configured using ASDM in my opinion. The CLI on finesse is awfully restrictive imho. They should have kept the same command structure as they use in IOS instead of buggering about and messing it up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    To be brutally honest if you want to actually understand fully what you're doing to your switches CLI is the best way to go as Torledo mentioned. The cisco training materials teach CLI configs as far as they can. For devices like the APs (some of which don't do CLI very well so I'm told), PIXs and ASAs GUI is more acceptable.

PIX and ASA are most easily configured using ASDM in my opinion. The CLI on finesse is awfully restrictive imho. They should have kept the same command structure as they use in IOS instead of buggering about and messing it up.
    I know what you're saying about the security devices such as the ASA, after all firewall admins have been using the gui with checkpoint FW1 for years. ASDM is a big leap forward in catching up with checkpoint...

But i would say PIX 7 from the cli has added some big improvements to bring it more in line with cisco IOS....tab completion was added which wasn't available in PIX 6, plus the move away form conduits to ACL's also brings it closer to the way security options are configured in IOS.

As you say joe some devices do the IOS CLI better than others....the aironet AP cli may be more hassle than it's worth - but i don't think much of the gui, IDS cli isn't brilliant (the IDS products not being IOS based being the problem) and stuff like the content engines - well i think admins would always prefer to configure via gui. But the fact cisco provide the choice is great for us admins.

Thank Post
    Thnaks for the replies.

The Cisco switches were given to a charity I help out with so I'm just trying to help them get them going with my limited networking knowledge.I think there may be no need to mess about with GUI's etc if:-

On the 2005 switch port 1 is set to cisco switch using smartports. If I connect a xover cable from port 1 to any port of the 2004 switch will this link them together?

All we really want to do is connect the 2 switches together. I think I have complicated things by thinking that if I can't set a port on the 2004 switch as Cisco switch they won't link together

Thanks All
    Last edited by IA76; 6th May 2008 at 09:50 AM.

Thank Post
    If you're not using any configs on the two switches just make sure they're clear (asside from the usual passwords and secrets etc) and then just plug a crossover in between the two....I think you're over complicating things.

It doesn't even have to be a crossover really because those switches will negotiate a link.

Thank Post
    The only settings on them are the ip settings.

I did try linking them with a patch cable but none of the linked ports lit up

I'm going to get a xover cable today and try it with that.

Thank Post
    Reset both switches to they're factory default configurations...

Resetting Catalyst Switches to Factory Defaults - Cisco Systems

(I'm making a huge assumption that you've got a console cable and you know how to console into the switch.)

or at the very least reset the vlan settings to they're default, you'll find out how to do that in the link above.

if or when you do that use a straight through patch cable to connect switch to switch. Also, the 2950 is not a router it is a layer-2 switch, ip address settings on layer-2 switches like the 2950 are purely for mgmt/adminstrative purporses by desribing them as 'router ports' you're confusing yourself.
    Last edited by torledo; 6th May 2008 at 09:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice Toledo.

When the switches were given to us we were told that vlan settings had been deleted and they switches had been reset back to default settings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread