+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Machines returning same IP address in Technical; Read some time back - The no refresh interval is the time that client cannot re-register itself. This to stop ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Read some time back -

The no refresh interval is the time that client cannot re-register itself. This to stop machines overly re-registering and potentially causing lots of replication traffic between DCs (mainly upsetting WAN etc.)

The refresh interval - the time the record is immune from being scavenged

If the records age is less than the sum of the refresh and no-refresh then it will never be scavenged/deleted.

The frequency of these should be larger than how often a new ddns registeration takes place, so as a registeration takes place on a dhcp renewal / when you turn you computer on (prob daily except hols) and I think every 24hrs if the machine is on.

Mine is set to 7 and 7, so longest is 14 days. DHCP is on 7 days which seems to work ok here.

So if all the machines were off for more than 2 weeks they could lose their DNS entry, but this doesnt cause probs for me as important stuff like servers etc. are set statically anyway.

hope this clarifys it somewhat!
    Last edited by blacksheep; 1st May 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Read some time back -

The no refresh interval is the time that client cannot re-register itself. This to stop machines overly re-registering and potentially causing lots of replication traffic between DCs (mainly upsetting WAN etc.)

The refresh interval - the time the record is immune from being scavenged

If the records age is less than the sum of the refresh and no-refresh then it will never be scavenged/deleted.

The frequency of these should be larger than how often a new ddns registeration takes place, so as a registeration takes place on a dhcp renewal / when you turn you computer on (prob daily except hols) and I think every 24hrs if the machine is on.

Mine is set to 7 and 7, so longest is 14 days. DHCP is on 7 days which seems to work ok here.

So if all the machines were off for more than 2 weeks they could lose their DNS entry, but this doesnt cause probs for me as important stuff like servers etc. are set statically anyway.

hope this clarifys it somewhat!
    thanks for in the info, but i read today that the refresh interval and the no-refresh interval combined should not exceed the dhcp lease duration....

so here we have 8 day dhcp lease duration, and i've set the scavenging period to 8 in dns, the refresh to 5 and the no-fresh to 3 for both forward and rdns zones. I don't know why i didn't do 4 and 4 but i'm told 5 and 3 should be fine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12