+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Backbone speed for new build network/VoIP/IP Cameras in Technical; Looks we are definately going to get our new bulding. Building Plans are pretty much finalised just waiting for final ...

Thank Post

Backbone speed for new build network/VoIP/IP Cameras

Looks we are definately going to get our new bulding. Building Plans are pretty much finalised just waiting for final consent and land has been purchased..... great stuff!

Now... with the new build we'll be pushing to make as future proof as we can (within whatever budget is given), and I can only presume that for the moment we will be going the VoIP route for office and classroom phones; Maintenance tell me they want to go the IP Camera route for security; and of course I want a nice fast network.

Would 10Gb fiber between the core-edge switches be happy with this.... would 1Gb over ethernet be happy with this load (how much bandwidth do IP cameras take anyway) or would bonding 2 or 3 1Gb cables between each switch be OK (if we can't get the funding for fiber throughout)

Any thoughts on bandwidth load from those who already use VoIP and IP Cameras for security would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Adrian

Thank Post
    Hi Adrian

With VoIP, bandwidth is not so much the issue more aspects such as latency. Most important to focus on QoS and network design when it comes to Voice. Video from IP cameras is also subject to QoS, altouhgh with Video bandwidth is more of a concern because of the requirements of the higher bitrate mpeg strams but like voice throwing bandwidth at the probem without implementing QoS is a pointless task.

Have you got an idea on cost ? As it would be really good to have 10bbps backbone so that you can future proof and take advantage of gigabit to the desktop.

If the money isn't there for 10gbps optics, then certainly multiple fiber runs for etherchannel between access and core is the next best option.
    I'd have multiple fibers for fault tolerance purposes anywho.

Once the fiber is inplace you can move to 10gbbps uplinks at any time.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Just been doing a similar upgrade and have gone with 10Gb fibre. One thing to be careful of is to specify that you will be running the fibre at 10Gb as not all fibre will run at that speed. Its not much dearer so even if you are going the 1Gb route with link agregation its still worth getting the decent stuff installed. Also, look at possibly running a 16 core fibre, again not much dearer and you then have room to put the video and VOIP on seperate fibres for which 1Gb would be fine to keep cost down.

Thank Post
    Something else I forgot, if you are going with HP switches they do a trade in scheme and you get about 7 per port. Good time to get rid of those old switches kicking around or buy in some cheap n nasties and trade in those.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Something else I forgot, if you are going with HP switches they do a trade in scheme and you get about 7 per port. Good time to get rid of those old switches kicking around or buy in some cheap n nasties and trade in those.
    Got a URL for that?

Thank Post
    HP Trade-In

I traded in a server about a month ago. Good way of getting rid of old kit!

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread