+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, ISP backup for schools in Technical; Ok - enoughs enough My schools, even though they are primaries, are starting to need 100% (or as close as ...

Thank Post

ISP backup for schools

Ok - enoughs enough

My schools, even though they are primaries, are starting to need 100% (or as close as possible) internet uptime.

Our RBOC (CLEO) don't offer us this (mushroom management and information flow scenario) and I could do with implementing it in a few of my schools that rely on Internet access to deliver their lessons.

What I'm after is a method of using another ISP (ADSL or Virgin)as a backup, preferably with automatic fallover.

What do advanced schools do to achieve this?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The T&C's of your CLEO connection prevent you from doing this.

However, theoretically, if I wanted to do this, I'd probably have a Linux machine sat inbetween the CLEO router and my network. It would work as a router, perhaps using shorewall would be the easiest way. It would have a 3rd network card which connects to my 'backup' ISP connection. Then the magic would be in the gateway configuration.

You would have to set both connections to be your 'default' gateway. Also you would have to reduce the gateway timeout from it's 5min default down to a few seconds. Finally, you would have to change your machines network settings so the Linux router was the default gateway. Here's a Linux.com article discussing it.

Linux.com :: Using a Linux failover router

Once you have this all setup you'd theoretically have automatic failover of your IP connectivity. Finally, to make this work seamlessly, You will need to alter your DNS server settings (in your W2K3 servers forwarders) to list your backup connections DNS servers and you will also have to alter your local proxy server so that it will attempt to go direct to the websites if it cannot contact any of your LEAs proxy servers.
    Last edited by Geoff; 16th April 2008 at 11:06 AM.

3. Thanks to Geoff from:

SimpleSi (23rd April 2008)

Thank Post
    Your the man again

I'm thinking about just using a 3G dongle to provide this (might try dial-up as a proof of concept 1st)

For home of course.

I've been thinking a bit further about the lack of redundant links at schools and I think we need a cunning plan that involves getting Lancs NMs and Headteachers to start pushing the right people into providing this.

Internet down is starting to really interfere with lessons now - and I think its time to move things on a bit.

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread