+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 87
Wireless Networks Thread, Logon Times/Speed in Technical; 30 seconds for initial logon to create profile. After that 10 seconds until im on edugeek Roaming profiles, cache deleted ...
  1. #16
    Guest

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    30 seconds for initial logon to create profile. After that 10 seconds until im on edugeek

    Roaming profiles, cache deleted from local machine at logoff

  2. #17

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,413
    Thank Post
    642
    Thanked 964 Times in 664 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    327

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    We run an RM CC3 network (roaming profiles) and our logon times vary, depending on machine spec and HD speeds. On our newest mahines, cached profile logons are less than 10 seconds, otherwise this can take upto 40 seconds, depending on network traffic etc

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    I must be doing something very wrong - Ranger network - when we have 4 or 5 suites of computers all being used, it can take up to 20 minutes for some of our kids to get logged on.

    I'm not entirely sure the systems set up right. I'm in a similar situation to Alan. Inherited network with next to no details apart from staff saying it used to crash on a daily basis.

  4. #19
    Guest

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    @nightowl

    Could poss be due to DNS \ DHCP probs down the line somewhere. I had this once in network I inherited . Turned out admin server was had DHCP running as well as the curic server, even though the admin network used static addresses. Because of this curric PCs were getting incorrect DNS values from the admin DCHP server.

    Just a thought.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    dundee
    Posts
    197
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    "I must be doing something very wrong - Ranger network - when we have 4 or 5 suites of computers all being used, it can take up to 20 minutes for some of our kids to get logged on."
    Remove ranger!!!

  6. #21

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,413
    Thank Post
    642
    Thanked 964 Times in 664 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    327

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    The college I go to for CCNA use ranger, and it takes about 30-60 seconds to log on.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    296
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    Thanks Guys for all your feedback, it's intrestting to see how speeds can very so much from place to place under different circumstances.

    Judging from what people have posted my logon speeds seem to be quite fair.

    Cheers,

    Matt

  8. #23

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,592
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 770 Times in 598 Posts
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    7 seconds dead between hitting logon and everything loading up in the system tray

    This user's profile was cached and it is Citrix (same gigabit switch and same rack as the DCs).

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    dundee
    Posts
    197
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    "The college I go to for CCNA use ranger, and it takes about 30-60 seconds to log on".
    I pity them...they have my sympathies.

  10. #25

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    I have been experimenting with the script kindly provided by Quackers as we suffer a lot of HDD 'pollution' from locally stored profiles and I liked the idea of getting rid of them automatically! The only problem I have now is whenever I open an MS Office document I get prompted for user name and initials. Any idea how to supress this prompt for user information?

    Brian

  11. #26
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,404
    Thank Post
    43
    Thanked 153 Times in 128 Posts
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by broc
    I have been experimenting with the script kindly provided by Quackers as we suffer a lot of HDD 'pollution' from locally stored profiles and I liked the idea of getting rid of them automatically! The only problem I have now is whenever I open an MS Office document I get prompted for user name and initials. Any idea how to supress this prompt for user information?

    Brian
    I do not suffer from this problem. Have you tried running word etc before you upload the profile?

  12. #27
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,993
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 286 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    Quote Originally Posted by broc
    I have been experimenting with the script kindly provided by Quackers as we suffer a lot of HDD 'pollution' from locally stored profiles and I liked the idea of getting rid of them automatically! The only problem I have now is whenever I open an MS Office document I get prompted for user name and initials. Any idea how to supress this prompt for user information?

    Brian
    I do not suffer from this problem. Have you tried running word etc before you upload the profile?
    That is exactly what is needed to supress that promt for information. It should be part of your your initial/default profile.

  13. #28

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    Quote Originally Posted by broc
    I have been experimenting with the script kindly provided by Quackers as we suffer a lot of HDD 'pollution' from locally stored profiles and I liked the idea of getting rid of them automatically! The only problem I have now is whenever I open an MS Office document I get prompted for user name and initials. Any idea how to supress this prompt for user information?

    Brian
    I do not suffer from this problem. Have you tried running word etc before you upload the profile?
    That is exactly what is needed to supress that promt for information. It should be part of your your initial/default profile.
    Well, I am glad someone is awake! Thanks

    I was playing with Office 2003 customisation & uninstalled/reinstalled the product while also playing with the profiles & obviously got the order wrong. Isn't it amazing how sometimes you cannot see the wood for the trees.......

    Now all I need to do is get logons to be a bit quicker.

    Brian

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    100
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    quackers - when I follow your way of mandantory profiles, my start menu and the all users one merge - now i know this is by design but does this happen to you too? If not then how do u get around it ?

    thanks

  15. #30
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,404
    Thank Post
    43
    Thanked 153 Times in 128 Posts
    Rep Power
    55

    Re: Logon Times/Speed

    What do you mean by merge? Like if you have an All Users folder "Applications" and a Users "Applications" its seen as one menu? If you mean this then yes this happens.

    All i can recommend is you have a script at the same time as the profile copy to the machine to delete everything in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu, and make sure all shortcuts come from the profile for that set of PC's.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WINXP Logon Times (IE Branding =S)
    By BKGarry in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th May 2010, 03:31 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30th November 2006, 06:57 PM
  3. Logon times
    By wesleyw in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th September 2006, 06:45 AM
  4. CMS im alittle behind the times
    By danIT in forum Web Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd May 2006, 08:54 AM
  5. Logon Times
    By Snuffkins in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31st January 2006, 09:48 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •