+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Logon Times/Speed in Technical; 30 seconds for initial logon to create profile. After that 10 seconds until im on edugeek Roaming profiles, cache deleted ...

Re: Logon Times/Speed

30 seconds for initial logon to create profile. After that 10 seconds until im on edugeek

Roaming profiles, cache deleted from local machine at logoff

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We run an RM CC3 network (roaming profiles) and our logon times vary, depending on machine spec and HD speeds. On our newest mahines, cached profile logons are less than 10 seconds, otherwise this can take upto 40 seconds, depending on network traffic etc

Thank Post

I must be doing something very wrong - Ranger network - when we have 4 or 5 suites of computers all being used, it can take up to 20 minutes for some of our kids to get logged on.

I'm not entirely sure the systems set up right. I'm in a similar situation to Alan. Inherited network with next to no details apart from staff saying it used to crash on a daily basis.

@nightowl

Could poss be due to DNS \ DHCP probs down the line somewhere. I had this once in network I inherited . Turned out admin server was had DHCP running as well as the curic server, even though the admin network used static addresses. Because of this curric PCs were getting incorrect DNS values from the admin DCHP server.

Just a thought.

Thank Post

"I must be doing something very wrong - Ranger network - when we have 4 or 5 suites of computers all being used, it can take up to 20 minutes for some of our kids to get logged on."
    Remove ranger!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The college I go to for CCNA use ranger, and it takes about 30-60 seconds to log on.

Thank Post

Thanks Guys for all your feedback, it's intrestting to see how speeds can very so much from place to place under different circumstances.

Judging from what people have posted my logon speeds seem to be quite fair.

Cheers,

Matt

Thank Post

7 seconds dead between hitting logon and everything loading up in the system tray

This user's profile was cached and it is Citrix (same gigabit switch and same rack as the DCs).

Thank Post

"The college I go to for CCNA use ranger, and it takes about 30-60 seconds to log on".
    I pity them...they have my sympathies.

Thank Post

I have been experimenting with the script kindly provided by Quackers as we suffer a lot of HDD 'pollution' from locally stored profiles and I liked the idea of getting rid of them automatically! The only problem I have now is whenever I open an MS Office document I get prompted for user name and initials. Any idea how to supress this prompt for user information?

Brian

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    I have been experimenting with the script kindly provided by Quackers as we suffer a lot of HDD 'pollution' from locally stored profiles and I liked the idea of getting rid of them automatically! The only problem I have now is whenever I open an MS Office document I get prompted for user name and initials. Any idea how to supress this prompt for user information?

Brian
    I do not suffer from this problem. Have you tried running word etc before you upload the profile?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers

Brian
    I do not suffer from this problem. Have you tried running word etc before you upload the profile?
    That is exactly what is needed to supress that promt for information. It should be part of your your initial/default profile.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers

Brian
    That is exactly what is needed to supress that promt for information. It should be part of your your initial/default profile.
    Well, I am glad someone is awake! Thanks

I was playing with Office 2003 customisation & uninstalled/reinstalled the product while also playing with the profiles & obviously got the order wrong. Isn't it amazing how sometimes you cannot see the wood for the trees.......

Now all I need to do is get logons to be a bit quicker.

Brian

Thank Post

quackers - when I follow your way of mandantory profiles, my start menu and the all users one merge - now i know this is by design but does this happen to you too? If not then how do u get around it ?

thanks

Thank Post

What do you mean by merge? Like if you have an All Users folder "Applications" and a Users "Applications" its seen as one menu? If you mean this then yes this happens.

All i can recommend is you have a script at the same time as the profile copy to the machine to delete everything in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu, and make sure all shortcuts come from the profile for that set of PC's.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast