+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless - Start on PC logon in Technical; Hi People, I'm using a laptop that's got an intel 2200 centrino wireless card and It's got the latest version ...
    Thank Post

Wireless - Start on PC logon

Hi People,
    I'm using a laptop that's got an intel 2200 centrino wireless card and It's got the latest version on the software on it running windows xp sp1. The problem i've got at the moment is that the intel software controlling the wireless does't connect until a user logs on. This means that no user can logon unless they've used the laptop whilst it's been connected to the network via ethernet previosly and their logon credentials have been cached!
    Has anyone else encountered the same problem? I think installing SP2 might solve the problem as i've been told it offers native support for WPA encryption and it should autostart on PC bootup. I don't want to use the Windows to control the wireless settings as it only appears lets me use WEP encryption which is a waste of time.
    Can anyone confirm if WPA works ok with sp2 or suggest a way of working around the problem with the Intel Software?

TIA 8)

Thank Post

Re: Wireless - Start on PC logon

there was an answer to this in another post. I can't find the link, but from what I recall you have to use Windows to configure your wireless card. I came across the same problem with our laptops and cards, but once reset to allow windows etc, they worked. I haven't come across anything else in this field which may help
    beeswax

Thank Post

That seemed to be the solution for most. I hate all the little utilities as well anyway. The inbuilt one maybe a bit flakey but at least its standard. I have fixed so many other laptops outside school as well where the client utility and windows inbuilt have a bit of a spat with each other any dont let each other work properly :?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yep you need to use the Wireless Zero Config service that comes with WinXP SP2 to manage the connection. Manufacturers tools generally only run after user login. Thus causing a depressing chicken and egg situation.

You can use WPA with service pack 2. You need a Windows 2003 server and access points that support radius (and preferably AES) to make it work though. There's plenty of whitepapers on the MS site for either using WPA-TLS or WPA-PEAP depending on what you want.

Thank Post

like geoff said - its a sticky situation - and one i'm happy i dont have where i am

SP2 is much nicer for wireless config than SP1 btw - thanks to the above mentioned Wireless Zero Config.

I always prefer it, compared to 'some' controlled by the driver/app's that come with some wifi adaptors/chipsets.

Just my 2p
    Nath

Thank Post

The Intel pro set does have some redeaming features.

http://support.intel.com/support/wir...0/profiles.htm

We use the pre-logon to get laptops to run the scripts at login.

You can use profiles for you wireless network - which can be set to be automatically imported.

Its a funny old world, we have cisco ap's which work best with the intel pro set on centrino but the cisco pc-cards we have only work with the zero config :?

Thank Post

Cheers for the reply's guys. I've tried it with SP2 but it's still not connecting before logon for some reason. Not sure if it's because of the intel software still retaining some setting or it there's an option i need to tick to tell it to somewhere. I'll give the intel pre-logon another go and see if this works any better.
    Don't you just hate it when you thnk something's going to be really easy to get working and turns into a total nightmare! Also how many clients do you thing it's safe to run from 1 54Mb wifi point. We were hoping that one would be enough for a lab of 20 laptops but I'm not so sure about how well it'll handle it. Certainly looking at the numbers (54mb/20 laptops = 2.7Mb each!) it doesn't look promising :?

Has anyone else used wireless for an entire lab and how many access points did you end up using

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread