+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Community centre network in Technical; Hi All I help out at an inner city community centre and we have been raising money towards getting some ...

Thank Post

Community centre network

Hi All

I help out at an inner city community centre and we have been raising money towards getting some pc equipment.

Getting a network person/company in is way out of our budget so I would be grateful for any tips/help you can give me.

We have managed to source approx 20 complete second user compaq machines (p4 2.2) which have all been placed in one room. Each machine is connnected to a 24 port switch via cat5 cable. We also have 2 wireless ap's (one is a d-link & the other is linksys)

The main users will be 12-30 year olds so the chances of 'dodgy' sites being looked at is VERY high!

We are looking at placing a dedicated pc between the switch and adsl router that will run the www.untangle.com web filtering/monitoring software. As this software is free it is ideal for us.

We have also had a HP neworkable printer donated to us. Is there any free/cheap software we can use that when someone prints soemthing it will get sent to one pc and that person can choose whether to allow the job to print or not?

With regards the wireless ap's which are at each end of the building and connected to the switch via cat5 cable, how do I set these up so that they both work as one ie. you are connected to one ap and if you walk to the other side of the building your laptop will automatically connect using the same wep key. Is it just a case of setting the same ssis/channel/wep key?

Any other tips or ideas you can give mw would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IA76 View Post
    We have also had a HP neworkable printer donated to us. Is there any free/cheap software we can use that when someone prints soemthing it will get sent to one pc and that person can choose whether to allow the job to print or not?
    you could install the printer on 1 computer and then share it accross the network. on the machine it is installed on pause all print jobs and then you can manualy selet the prints you want to allow.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the idea but ideally we need something where we can actually preview what is about to be printed and then decide whether to allow or disallow the print job.

Thank Post
    For your wireless question, yes, just use the same SSID, & Encryption Strength/Key and it should be fine.

As for the printing ... hmm, I'm not really sure...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Check out the wiki for setting up a pykota/cups linux print server (should only need an old desktop for hardware).

Don't know if it'll do exactly what you're after, but a close approximation should be possible.

Thank Post
    Is it just a case of setting the same ssis/channel/wep key?

Any other tips or ideas you can give mw would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Channels should be set to auto or they should be different.

Do you know someone at Reyland?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Channels should be set to auto or they should be different.
    ...and at least five channels apart from each other, since a device occupies the channel you specify and two either side of it.

eg. for three devices use channels 1,6,11. For two, use 1&6, 2&7, 3&8 etc.

Thank Post
    A "simple" way to preview all print jobs is to install a PDF creator on each client, as the only printer, make them put the files into one shared folder, and then to print you have to open the PDFs, and then you can click print (or not) from within the PDF reader.

We use PrimoPDF to make PDF docs, but it's not ideal, as the default folder is c:\program files\primopdf...

I saw this link before http://maximillianx.blogspot.com/200...hared-pdf.html

somewhere on this site...

Thank Post
    Thanks for the idea but ideally we need something where we can actually preview what is about to be printed and then decide whether to allow or disallow the print job.
    You could set up a PDF document printer (i.e. a "printer" where all output goes to a PDF document instead of a physcial printer) on your print server machine, then view each PDF document that gets "printed" and decide whether to send it to the real printer or not. You could also have the actual printing done automatically, just keep a copy of everything printed as a PDF document and check over them once a day.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    The PDF printer method seems ideal. Thanks for the wireless advice as well.

KCL, yes I do. I'm assuming you are the one who gave me the link to this forum?

Ok, next question. At the moment people use the Guest account one ach pc which also stops them installing heir own stuff on the pc. Is this ok or should I be doing it another way?

Thank Post
    You may wish to look into the 'Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit' or now known as 'Windows SteadyState'.

This program will allow you to set restrictions, auto logins and so forth, as well as having the ability to reset the computer to a predefined state at every boot!

Best of all – it’s FREE!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

12. Thanks to plock from:

powdarrmonkey (26th March 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread