+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, WAPs supporting upto 25 concurrent users in Technical; Too true about when things go wrong. There is indeed a lot of head scratching. That is one of the ...

Thank Post
    Too true about when things go wrong.

There is indeed a lot of head scratching.

That is one of the biggest down-sides to owning OS X in education in the UK. When things are problematic there ain't too many places you can go. Not in the midlands anyway from what i can see.

I have asked questions about server issues to the guys in the Apple Store in B'ham to see if they can answer but the Geniuses behind the Genius Bar can't answer them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Too true about when things go wrong.

There is indeed a lot of head scratching.

That is one of the biggest down-sides to owning OS X in education in the UK. When things are problematic there ain't too many places you can go. Not in the midlands anyway from what i can see.

I have asked questions about server issues to the guys in the Apple Store in B'ham to see if they can answer but the Geniuses behind the Genius Bar can't answer them.
    asking the 'genius bar' about apple server problems would be akin to asking my mother about quantum mechanics ergo you'd be better off talking to a brick wall....

what i've resorted to is the apple forums aswell as our apple reseller, when i can get hold of their server whiz.....although tbh i haven't contacted them much since the end of the project.

I kind of regret not taking out some sort of support package on our xserve, but tbh i'm glad i didn't for the xraid......i'm not a very big fan of it anymore, i think it does a fine job in direct attached configuration , but i'm not going to bother with putting it on an FC fabric and the non-redundant controllers are daft just plain daft - seriously handicaps it for any serious use, i've got a proper grown up IBM array for proper SAN......and in the not too distant future will have a netapp aswell hopefully doing NAS and SAN. woot.

in which case with any luck we'll be putting a 3TB+ xraid up for sale.

Thank Post
    Sounds very tempting that XRAID but since we are only a primary school i think it maybe a little overkill to have two of em

Personally i have no issues with the XRAID for performance. I net install my machines off it when needed. It hosts the pupils and Staff Home dirs and i install most of my apps from it using ARD. It does the job for us. I would like to be able to access it from either machine on the network but again over kill for us.

I am going to try and get the OD-AD integration working again soon though so hopefully it should remove some of the workload running two independent domains.

At the moment though all is ticking over OK.

I too resort to the Apple forums although they aren't the best source of support. I have also contacted our reseller (KRCS sold us some of our kit) and there is a guy there Tony Rocco (who also frequents teh Apple forums himself) who is great. He gives advice and support and is great to have. I just don't want to pester him too much especially since we don't have any support contract with them.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 4th March 2008 at 09:18 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The current wireless protocols are simply not designed for that many clients.

I can't see how you can run a reliable room just over wireless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    The current wireless protocols are simply not designed for that many clients.

I can't see how you can run a reliable room just over wireless.
    Why doesn't anyone use the 'a' bands?
    A cheap way of doing it is to put 'a' cards in all the roaming laptops (staff and such like). Put up a load of consumer grade overlapping 'a' Access Points to support these - they'll always be a lo density 'a' band hummm.
    Then stick 3 'g' band cheapo (but choice, the WAP54G comes to mind) on top of the laptop trolley. A 5 port Switch, then cable to a free ethernet port in whichever classroom it ends up in.
    That'll give you 60Mbps of WiFi in whichever room you like.

The 'a' band rocks for cell planning; sorely overlooked.

Thank Post

drivers update

Quote Originally Posted by raufdean View Post
    Nice idea, but I'm stuck with 25 intel 2200bg wireless laptops for the time being
    Hi there,

with the 2200 intel wireless the latest drivers makes a huge differance in keeping a stable connection. There are some tools available to diagnosie issues with RF interferance, one of them is something spy, i think its wi spy or similar which comes as usb stick lookalike device that shows you the RF interferance all sorts of stuff. I think they are around £150 - £175 but they are worth it in the long run as it helps with placing APs and doing site survey etc.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Hi there,

with the 2200 intel wireless the latest drivers makes a huge differance in keeping a stable connection. There are some tools available to diagnosie issues with RF interferance, one of them is something spy, i think its wi spy or similar which comes as usb stick lookalike device that shows you the RF interferance all sorts of stuff. I think they are around £150 - £175 but they are worth it in the long run as it helps with placing APs and doing site survey etc.

Ash.
    Hi Ash,

Thanks for that - we're using the latest drivers...

the wi spy thing sounds interesting though...

Rauf

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    @raufdean - Sometimes when two access points are in close proximity, (even on separate channels) the results are mixed.

If however the laptops are on a trolley, you could setup both access points with different security, so the first 12 laptops automatically connect to AP1 and the other 13 laptops automatically connected to AP2.

Not the most ideal solution, but it would work and it would guarantee 25 laptops (even 30) working in the same room through two access points.

Thank Post
    Im having to come up with this sort of solution at the moment. THis is the way i was thinking of doing it. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work tbh. Any other thoughts from anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @raufdean - Sometimes when two access points are in close proximity, (even on separate channels) the results are mixed.

If however the laptops are on a trolley, you could setup both access points with different security, so the first 12 laptops automatically connect to AP1 and the other 13 laptops automatically connected to AP2.

Not the most ideal solution, but it would work and it would guarantee 25 laptops (even 30) working in the same room through two access points.

Thank Post
    Hi Guys,

When supporting this number of clients on a single Access Point your AP must be extremely reliable.
    This is where ZoneFlex APís from Ruckus Wireless comes into play.

We have a client that managed to get 32 clients on a single AP without any issues of loss of wireless performance.
    ::NOTE:: Link to the case study:
    http://tools.net-ctrl.com/Helenswood...essrelease.pdf

Please contact Mark Power on 01473 238211 for more info & an evaluation.

Regards

Stuart White
    Network Security Analyst
    Enterprise Security Solutions | Network Security Consultants
    Tel: 01473 281211

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloum View Post
    Im having to come up with this sort of solution at the moment. THis is the way i was thinking of doing it. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work tbh. Any other thoughts from anyone?
    It's definitely a good idea. Don't forget to play around with the options of the intel drivers on device manager, as there are plenty of them like roaming aggressiveness, power for transmission and many more...

Thank Post
    Just a couple of suggestions - i'd keep the security settings the same, and change the ssid on one ap and half the laptops, otherwise it will still attempt to connect to either access point, but will fail as the security details will be wrong. Also when dividing the laptops out, i'd do odds and evens, so that if just use the first 12 laptops are used, you still benefit from double the bandwidth.

Steve

Thank Post
    Also, you can always enter the MAC address of each laptop to the MAC Access Control List of the Access Point you want it to connect to without having to change any wireless settings on each laptop or change the SSID on each of the access points

rdk

Thank Post
    We're currently testing a Xirrus access point (or array): they're more or less guaranteeing 50+ connections, with one array/point covering 6 rooms on a single level, provided the walls aren't metal. Two schools we know have installed them to give blanket coverage across the school, and swear they're the real deal.

Thank Post
    I use 24 Laptops running through 3 cisco 1200 series AP, they run with no problems, i get 8 laptops through 2 AP and 9 through the other. So far nobody has complained that they are slow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12