+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Netgear switch firmware upgrade in Technical; We have a netgear switch (FS752TS) since about 2 years ago, and it's never really passed our mind that there ...
    Thank Post

Netgear switch firmware upgrade

We have a netgear switch (FS752TS) since about 2 years ago, and it's never really passed our mind that there are updates to the firmware that should ideally go on.

Although I understand the firmware part, it also mentions a "bootcode" image that should go on too, via a TFTP server?! Anyone any idea what the bootcode is, and how I would go about putting this on? Netgear online help is more than useless, and the latest firmware version doesn't come with any useful instructions about how to do this (the older firmware updates have some instructions but of course it isn't those versions i want to upload, and all assume a TFTP server is setup).

If anyone has done this, or has knowledge of a TFTP server that could shed some light i'd be most grateful!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to download the latest Smartwizard Discovery tool particular to your hardware. Updates are applied via this tool. Newer switches have the option to update via the web interface.
    According to the user guide here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/fs72...s_sw_admin.pdf you can update via the web interface or be the Smartwizard tool (check your installation cd for the tool)
    The updates can be found here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/FS752TS.asp

Thank Post
    I have the discovery wizard and have already checked through the installation guide. The firmware part I understand as that seems relatively common sense; it was more the bootcode which knocked me, as I neither know what a TFTP server is nor have I ever used/configured one.

However, for the latest version of firmware to be applied, it strongly suggests updating the bootcode first.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    as I neither know what a TFTP server is nor have I ever used/configured one.
    Very easy, just google for TFTP32. Just bare in mind it's got a built in DHCP server, which is enabled by default.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    I have the discovery wizard and have already checked through the installation guide. The firmware part I understand as that seems relatively common sense; it was more the bootcode which knocked me, as I neither know what a TFTP server is nor have I ever used/configured one.

However, for the latest version of firmware to be applied, it strongly suggests updating the bootcode first.
    You can set your desktop PC up to be a TFTP server. Basically find some free tftp software (think I used Solarwinds) and install it. You can then point your switch at your PC's IP address and you should be able to install the software you want. Sorry that's rather vague - it's ages since I did one but basically setting up a TFTP server is pretty straight forward so nothing to be too daunted by.

Hope that helps - if I get chance I'll try it out on a switch here and give you more detailed instructions.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Everything should be in the firmware package. Indeed, looking at the Netgear site there is nothing but the new firmware there.
    What it does say is that you cannot upgrade directly to the latest version of the firmware if you are running the initial firmware release. I would install an earlier version of the firmware (one up from the one you are running).
    If the TFTP version is not compatible then Smartwizard should notify you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Please ignore the posts above. you NEED to use the Smartwizard tool, There is no other external way of doing this safely.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    you NEED to use the Smartwizard tool, There is no other external way of doing this safely.

In the instructions from an older archived firmware version, it mentions solely using a tftp server and the web interface for bootcode upgrading (discovery wizard seems to be for firmware only).

If someone could test this i'd appreciate it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Please ignore the posts above. you NEED to use the Smartwizard tool, There is no other external way of doing this safely.
    Well I did ours the way I described with no problems.

Thank Post
    Just to note that I did this with no problems in the end. Because our switch had original firmware on (was bought 18-24months ago), I decided to upgrade to the highest v1 firmware first, then upgrade the bootcode via TFTP (which yes, is very easy, and I used solarwinds), then simply applied the latest v3 via discovery wizard and it's running completely fine.

Although, as I am an alien to managing netgear products (particularly firmware updates), I thought i'd run it by here first, but needless to say it was as easy as pie.

Many thanks for the input!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    They are very nice switches and I hope you like the new web interface on that one as I was part of the team that tested and worked with Netgear on it

Thank Post
    I like the new design, it indeed does look more appealing and should I say "inline" with other switch/router configuration page layouts. I only wish it wasn't 10x slower than the older one!

Thank Post
    Well... Having had two of these units now and having thought the first was just duff, upgraded a second... I'm now of the opinion that something else is wrong.

I've got two switches that "appear" to be working but no longer respond to commands and just act as dumb switches... Phoning support now but this is slowly turning into a WTF?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Well... Having had two of these units now and having thought the first was just duff, upgraded a second... I'm now of the opinion that something else is wrong.

I've got two switches that "appear" to be working but no longer respond to commands and just act as dumb switches... Phoning support now but this is slowly turning into a WTF?

Do these switches offer telnet configuration, that if it is present and enabled runs at a lower level than the http management site and may still respond to commands.

You can try connecting to this using
    Code:
    telnet {switch ip}
    You might also try performing a hard reset on the switches to wipe the custom configuration. There may be a little reset pin button on the switch somewhere. This should help if the newer firmware is confused by the older configuration that was on there.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions... Unfortunately the unit(s) are non-responsive on ping, telnet, etc...

I also tried the idea re: a hard reset and that got nowhere too... It seems that something somehow interrupted and borked the firmware upgrade as the upload counter showed only 1024 bits uploaded, hung and then reset after 2 minutes...

Netgear offered no solutions, no clue and in the end it was decided an RMA was the best course of action...

I'll handle all firmware in future using a clean machine with a direct connection and no external forces... it really is a mystery.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast