+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Setting up a Windows Server 2003 for Group Policies DHCP, DNS ( Basic Help Need Plea in Technical; Just need a little bit of help setting up DHCP and DNS on a Domain Controller and when it says ...
    Thank Post

Setting up a Windows Server 2003 for Group Policies DHCP, DNS ( Basic Help Need Plea

Just need a little bit of help setting up DHCP and DNS on a Domain Controller and when it says in the DHCP setup what the ip address is of my Router is that the ADSL modem router which would be hucked up to my ISA Server ?
    Last edited by Steven; 21st February 2008 at 05:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The ip address refered to in DHCP as the router is simply the default gateway for your clients, ie the way to the outside world. If you have ISA in between your clients and the outside world then the internal address of your ISA box should be the router. If the clients are going to access the internet directly through the router then the ADSLs IP is what you want to put in there.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Steven (21st February 2008)

Thank Post
    ok thanks, is there anyway i can use a Belkin Wireless Modem Router for my Hub or would i need to buy a Hub so the Features in Server work i have turned off DHCP Server on Router and the Clients still get an IP address from the Router do you know if this would work and how i would turn DNS and DHCP off in the Router, or is this not possible Thanks Steven.

Thank Post
    It depends which way you look at it, and what you want to achieve.

In theory, you could set the default gateway of your server to the internal IP of your router and then configure the dhcp scope to use IPs in the same range so it all works happy days there.

IE,

Router 192.168.1.1 / Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Server 192.168.1.2 / Subnet 255.255.255.0 / Gateway 192.168.1.1

DHCP 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.20 with the gateway set as 192.168.1.1 (router) and DNS as 192.168.1.2 (server).

Should make some sense with a bit of luck?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    ok thanks, is there anyway i can use a Belkin Wireless Modem Router for my Hub or would i need to buy a Hub so the Features in Server work i have turned off DHCP Server on Router and the Clients still get an IP address from the Router do you know if this would work and how i would turn DNS and DHCP off in the Router, or is this not possible Thanks Steven.
    You'll need to log into the routers configuration page to disable dHCP. You will need to do this as for the clients to work with Active Directory properly they must use the server as the DNS server. This setting will be pushed out by DHCP from the server.

To log in to the router you will need to type its ip address into a browser and login to it, probably user name admin password admin.

The other option is to configure any clients ip settings manually with an appropriate ip address, default gateway to the router and DNS to your servers ip.

Thank Post
    Hi Steven

Before everyone goes off on a tangent trying to answer your questions, could you explain a little background about what you are doing?

It seems strange to have an ISA server and then be adding a DC and all of this going through a wireless router to T'internet.

I take it this is not a school setup?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Date of Birth
    September 29, 1991 (16)

I'm guessing a keen student trying to get himself some server experience at home.

Thank Post
    This is just at Home, im learning it all, ok i have got DHCP working and DNS and my Group Policies are working now, Do you know How to Stop local profiles been made when a user logs in i.e ( C:/Documents and Settings/ Username) or delete it when the user logs off, thanks Steven.

Thank Post
    http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.ph...de_to_Profiles

Take a look through that (and maybe the rest of the wiki?) to see whether that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread