+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, BURST technology in Technical; Anyone heard of this? http://www.fluidata.co.uk/products/BURST.htm We were looking at getting an SDSL line in to locally host our new Website ...

Thank Post

BURST technology

Anyone heard of this?

http://www.fluidata.co.uk/products/BURST.htm

We were looking at getting an SDSL line in to locally host our new Website but the speed wasn't that speedy (under 2MB IIRC..)
    We've got a quote through from the above company saying that BURST allows us to have 20Mb/s Downstream and 2MB/s upstream

It's apparently being used by a few schools..

So is anyone on here using it If so is it any good?

Thank Post
    How much traffic do you expect to have? 2mbit upload still isn't that much if the line's going to be used to host a website AND for pupil use.

Thank Post
    If you have a MLE too there will be a lot of uploading.

Thank Post
    So ur saying we need more than 2MB upstream?
    Not sure but think the plan is to go with a sharepoint site

Thank Post
    This uses a specially adapted Alcatel Modem that can access some parts of a non standard protocol set.
    I looked into it last year for a specific client that needed higher download speeds than was possible whilst still maintaining the 2mb up link.

Clearly it has a use in certain applications but if it will ever live upto your expectations as far as hosting is concerned I wouldn't like to comment.

The company seem quite good, I have conversed with them several times with regards this however we keep coming back to the same issues in that our needs both up and downloading seem to grow exponentially so we are back to looking at BTnet offerings instead.

BT seem to have abandoned ADSL/SDSL and are leaving that end of the market to the resellers.
    BTnet want to focus on leased lines and are making it more affordable.

I had one guy in that offered to provide a 2 on a 10, a 2mb on a 10mb circuit for the same annual fee as an sdsl line!

This means we can hop up to a higher speed with just a phone call if need be so you might want to enquire with BTnet services as to what is available in your area.
    They seem to be able to negotiate any price they like IF you have a local POP that is not going to cost them a packet to fibre up.

If however your too far from a fibre connection then burst is probably the best your going to get.
    When asked about Burst, the BT guy reckoned that they too will offer this when there is no better alternative.

Thank Post

burst

we use the burst service and have been very happy withit excellent tech support only problem our 20mb was based on line lenght of 1500meters (bt figures) but actual line is 2450meters so we get approx 11mb although they have offered to bond 2 lines for 22mb for 1 1/2 times cost instead of twice as normal as compensation for lower than expected speed.

Thank Post
    We use Fluid @20Mb/s at my new place, my NM speaks very highly of them. (It's awesome to use..!)

Thank Post
    Hi, I have been talking to Fluidata recently, thought that I would check on here to see if anyone else was using them

Could I ask those who are using them, have/did you notice a difference in the lower contention ratio? They are currently advertising 5:1 for the Burst buy I think they said they have no customers (currently) on my local exchange.

What routing equipment did you have installed? They are offering me at the moment either a Speedtouch 608WL or a Cisco877-M

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread