+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Help me spend - Switchs in Technical; Originally Posted by DMcCoy HP switches only work with HP Gbics, older procurves worked with other makes (I had a ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    HP switches only work with HP Gbics, older procurves worked with other makes (I had a couple of cisco ones) but all newer firmware releases and hardware versions will only accept original HP parts.
    Indeed, I have 4 Finisar ones (who I believe manufacture the branded ones for HP) but recent firmware updates have meant they are just gatherering dust on the spares shelf.

Thank Post
    Wow thanx guys, such speed Will i have to buy psu's for them or do they come with 1 in?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Netgear seem struggle to make a 40 ADSL router perform reliably - I wouldnt trust them with my mission crytical network, or thousands of pounds of school money.

I have not had one HP switch or module fail over the last 6 years. I have had 3com fail, cisco fail, netgear fail, linksys fail, planet fail.

Thats my choice though and you may chose differenty
    My thoughts exactly. I've never seen an HP unit fail, but have seen netgear ones go up in smoke (literally), seen d-link ones do strange and not-so wonderful things, and 3com ones have just been a complete disaster to me. I've never had problems with Cisco though.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    Wow thanx guys, such speed Will i have to buy psu's for them or do they come with 1 in?
    They don't come with any in, so you'd have to buy one or 2 - I'd go for 2, to provide redundancy in the key part of your network.

Thank Post
    Thank you all for your help with this been great help. I know the bursar will die of shock when he see's the figures but i think it will be a good move in the long run.

Just as a side note we've only had 3 netgear switches fail in 8 years and all have been replaced under warrenty but i'm starting to see some slow down on the 5 year old main switches so now is a good time to replace before they fail one busy coursework deadline day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have a complete Netgear network (FE doesn't have the cash which has been thrown at secondary schools :-))

We have had a few failures but warranty replacement has been good. The layer 3 switches are relatively cheap so we just have spares sitting in the racks at key points, ready configured so that if a switch does fail we can just swap over to the spare.

I think everyone can tell horror stories about a brand - I've seen a stack of 3Com switches go up in smoke one after the other, for example - but it would be good to get genuine technical reasons for buying another platform.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    (FE doesn't have the cash which has been thrown at secondary schools :-))
    *falls off chair*
    *lands in a pile of money that someone threw at him*

I think everyone can tell horror stories about a brand - I've seen a stack of 3Com switches go up in smoke one after the other, for example - but it would be good to get genuine technical reasons for buying another platform.
    as mentionmed above - 3com suck too! As for genuine technical reasons - would be nice but real world experience will do for me!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Right we are having major problems with our switches now so need to put together this quote and just wanted to check the parts are right before taking it to the powers that be.

J8697A Procurve 5406zl Modular Chassis x1
    J8702A Procurve 24-port 10/100/1000PoE Module x3
    J8706A Procurve 24-port Mini-GBIC module x1
    J4858C Procurve Mini-GBIC x20
    J8712A Procurve 875W power supply x2
    J4899C Procurve 48-port Switch x8

This is the plan have i missed anything out?

Thank Post
    Our whole network is now 3com, including wireless points. We also install 3com in some of our primary schools. The only issue we've had with 3com is when lightning hit the building and blew random ports on some of the switches (which i'm fairly sure would happen with all makes of switch :P). Also, one of the antenna for a wireless access point didnt fit on it, but they replaced that fairly quickly.

Thank Post
    We have a complete Netgear network (FE doesn't have the cash which has been thrown at secondary schools :-))

We have had a few failures but warranty replacement has been good. The layer 3 switches are relatively cheap so we just have spares sitting in the racks at key points, ready configured so that if a switch does fail we can just swap over to the spare.

We've been quite lucky with cisco kit over the years, although we recently had a very old 3500XL stackable switch die after being unplugged and removed from the equipment rack.

The 3500XL's don't have line cards just a couple of GBIC slots. When we plugged it back into the switch stack the tell tale lights that indicate a faulty switch came on......on further inspection, error codes pointed to ESD damage to one of the internal components.

What's odd is that you can't get to any internal cicrcuitry without pulling the cover off......and that's never been done. improper insertion and removal of gbics would cause ESD damage to the gbics only.

Very bizarre occurance as wouldn't have thought you'd need to take ESD precaustions for handling the switch itself. Dust could have been an issue as it was caked in it....but other than that i can't believe ESD damage from handling was to blame - but then the fault only occured after it was removed so there you go. There are some switches that have an ESD point for attaching anti-static wrist strap, but not the 3500XL.

My advice is to take care when handling whatever switch TS chooses to buy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    Right we are having major problems with our switches now so need to put together this quote and just wanted to check the parts are right before taking it to the powers that be.

J8697A Procurve 5406zl Modular Chassis x1
    J8702A Procurve 24-port 10/100/1000PoE Module x3
    J8706A Procurve 24-port Mini-GBIC module x1
    J4858C Procurve Mini-GBIC x20
    J8712A Procurve 875W power supply x2
    J4899C Procurve 48-port Switch x8

This is the plan have i missed anything out?
    Looks fine to me.

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

dave.81 (22nd April 2008)

Thank Post
    Is it worth adding Procurve Manager Plus to the mix or is the free Manager version ok?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends if you prefer to do things via the console or via a nice GUI. I bought the full version but then the license details went missing before I could set it up. I've managed just fine without it really.

Thank Post
    Thanks happy to do things via the console, after all been doing that for years so will leave it off the list for now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the console is easy enough. Especially when you have a TFTP server and can have your switches TFTP their configs to themselves.

Thank Post
    Out of interest what's the difference between the 2650 and the 2610 \ 2810 switches, as far as I can tell the 2650 and 2626 seem to be the older models and the newer replacements are the 2610 \ 2810 (which if you have the 24 port models are fanless )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast