+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Contractors in Technical; Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can advise me as to how much it would cost me per hour to employ ...

Thank Post

Contractors

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me as to how much it would cost me per hour to employ somebody to do the following. This is for my project, again, so I do not need anything too specific.
    • Install network cabling, switches, cabinets etc
    • Install and configure servers
    I'll ask this on the off chance. Does anybody know of any funding that is available to help educational establishments (privately owned) install networks and such?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Done that kind of work in our server room, i did most configuring and the NM did the physical part. I should imagine it would be a few quid.

How many network points, switches & servers? What do you want the servers to do etc. Is it a start from scratch?

Thank Post
    This will be for a completely new installation.

There is three rooms; two with 24 network sockets in each and one with 12. A switch will need to be mounted inside a cabinet in each room. The cabling with be Cat5e from the network sockets to the switch and there will be a fibre connection from the switches in each room to another switch which is located centrally in the building. A fibre connection will then go from this switch to another switch in the server room where there is 6 servers.

3 x File servers
    2 x AD servers
    1 x Web server/Exchange server

1 x SmoothGuard

I don't need exact pricing, just a rough idea of how much people charge per hour.

Thank Post
    Install cables, etc normally costs roughly £200 - £300 per day for 2 people.

IT support is anywhere from £120 - £800 per day depending on who does it & what level.

Most companies don’t like giving hourly rates as very difficult if someone else supplies kit, cable etc and there’s a problem with it i.e. order wrong stuff etc.

Think you will find that most good Companies with only give you whole job price!

Thank Post
    'sfoord' is correct - a 'top notch' contractor (CCIE - MCSE) can charge £200 - £300 per hour!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why do you have a cab in each room? Why don't you make it so all the network sockets in the IT rooms go to one cab? Also how many machines in the IT rooms? (that question releates to network points)

Just a thought.

Z

Thank Post
    I've just gone through our development plan and it works out that for 2 x Cat5 sockets and a twin electrical socket is around £300, but for a single Cat5 socket the cost is around £150.

As mentioned above it's worth getting someone in to give you a quote as it will vary.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we pay £60 per CAT5 socket.... bargain! Am up north though....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It costs us about £35 per socket when having numbers like that to do.

For server installation, we paid for 2 days 18 months ago (when I was still finding my feet). This came to about £1500 IIRC. This was for 2 servers to be moved onto new machines.

So I'd be looking at 4 days for the servers, so around £3k. And for the cabling, I'd be looking at £2100 just for the sockets, and an extra £400 for the switch install etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Why do you have a cab in each room? Why don't you make it so all the network sockets in the IT rooms go to one cab? Also how many machines in the IT rooms? (that question releates to network points)

Just a thought.

Z

It would be better to have it all in separate cabs IMO as it is always easier to troubleshoot and looks neater.
    This is how we also have our rooms.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Contact Andy @ Ralcho and ask him to do quote and say for now it is just a see how much going to cost type quote. He will be happy to do one and then once decided to do the project then can get him in again to do a upto date quote.

Per hour is a very expensive way of doing it as they charge more than if doing it as a job..

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by badboyvtec View Post
    It would be better to have it all in separate cabs IMO as it is always easier to troubleshoot and looks neater.
    This is how we also have our rooms.
    Agreed. It also should cost significantly less, as running a bunch of CAT5 from one side of our school to the other would cost a fortune. Having remote cabs is normal.

Think of it like in a business - each floor in an office usually has its own cabinet, with each feeding to the core switch.

Thank Post
    <Edited due to unauthorised advertising>

I would recommend having a full project quotation done by at least 3 companies, especially for the cabling as this can vary wildly and this will give you a fixed price instead of working at an hourly rate!

Where are you based?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 11th February 2008 at 02:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Last one I setup for a place cost them £1K all in but I designed the spec and ordered the kit and that was for one box not the numbers your needing, and that included 8 datapoints all tested and certified using a true fluke tester not just a battery and LED setup. There was no limit on the time in terms from my end, they had a deadline and I met it no problem but that was for 1 to 50 days work however many was needed.

For your job for the servers probably around £2500 would do them I would think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Contact Andy @ Ralcho and ask him to do quote and say for now it is just a see how much going to cost type quote. He will be happy to do one and then once decided to do the project then can get him in again to do a upto date quote.

Per hour is a very expensive way of doing it as they charge more than if doing it as a job..

Russ
    That's a great idea but I feel awkward because this is just for a project and nothing will come of it so essentially I'm wasting his time.

The figures provided in this thread should be enough. How long do you think it would take to install the network?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 12th February 2008 at 12:15 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread