+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Bulk Modify (Active Directory) Beta Testing (Release Version now available!) in Technical; Overview Password Control is a simple app designed mostly for helpdesk staff to reset passwords and to enable/disable accounts. I ...
    Thank Post

Bulk Modify (Active Directory) Beta Testing (Release Version now available!)

Overview
    Password Control is a simple app designed mostly for helpdesk staff to reset passwords and to enable/disable accounts. I added Bulk Password Control to make it easier to reset passwords for large numbers of user accounts.
    Bulk Modify is a new addition to this application that allows users to modify AD attributes of many user accounts (designed for system admins rather than helpdesk staff).
    * This is a very brief overview - more information is available at WiseSoft - Password Control. Active Directory Password Reset Tool..
    Or here if you just want information about Bulk Modify:
    http://www.wisesoft.co.uk/Products/P...y/Default.aspx

Feedback
    Any feedback on the beta (or live) version of this application is appreciated. Bug reports, comments and suggestions are all welcome.
    If you find a bug, please provide as much information as possible to allow me to reproduce the problem.

Download
    To download the beta version, please goto the following URL:
    WiseSoft - Password Control. Active Directory Password Reset Tool.

Click the "Download BETA" link on the right hand side.

Many thanks in advance for your time spent testing this beta application. I look forward to your feedback.

It would be inadvisable to use this application on your live AD network.

Thanks,

David

PS. I'm only an occasional user of these forums. Feel free to move if you think this post is better suited elsewhere.
    I used to be a computer tech for a college. I'm now working as a DBA outside the education sector.
    Last edited by Wiseman82; 21st April 2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Release version of application is now available

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. I was going to classify this as an illegal advert (well, some of it IS!), but it's not exactly advertising if it is a freebie.

PM Sent.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    David is a long time member Dos Box. Password Control and bulk user import are such useful free tools - a valued member I think, along with others

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,455 Posts
    What does this app offer that I can't do with admodify?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

Ben

What does it offer that you can't do with bog standard ADUC?

Thank Post
    What does it offer that you can't do with bog standard ADUC?
    There was a deliberate design choice to make the application look like the user dialog in ADU&C – this is to make it easier to identify the attributes that you want to modify. ADU&C is mostly designed to edit attributes a single account at a time. Support is there to do bulk updates, but it’s pretty limited.
    Bulk Modify is designed to allow easy updating of many AD attributes.

Bulk Modify is very similar to ADModify. After developing the bulk password control tool I wanted a way to allow users to modify other account control attributes. The scope got increased to include other attributes and the application now offers similar features to ADModify. There are a number of differences between the two applications and there are pros and cons to each.

Bulk Modify Pros
    • Better searching facilities. You can select users from an OU, Group or from a custom list. You can also use a custom or a pre-defined query. ADModify does support using a custom LDAP filter but not everyone is comfortable with the syntax.
    • You can move users to a different OU and reset passwords with Bulk Modify/Bulk Password Control.
    • Bulk Modify supports conflict resolution on common-name, username and UPN attributes. It supports some attributes not found in ADModify – Logon Hours, username (sAMAccountName), logon workstations etc. Bulk Modify has better support for multi-valued attributes (inc Member Of). The “Other” tab provides support for most AD attributes. You can even use the “Other” tab to bulk load user photos into Active Directory.
    • ADModify is made more flexible by the use of “variables”. Bulk Modify uses more powerful XML Placeholders. Both allow you to do things like set the display name to “LastName, FirstName”. XML Placeholders also allow case transformation (UPPER/LOWER/PROPER case), left, right and substring and null value replacement.
    • For the manager attribute (and other DN attributes), you can search for the distinguished name (type the account name for example). ADModify only allows you to verify that the DN entered is correct.
    • Both ADModify and BulkModify have a rollback facility by using an XML log file. I’ve included a results dialog box with Bulk Modify though so you don’t need to inspect the XML file manually. You can use the rollback facility directly from the results dialog.

Bulk Modify Cons
    • A lot of work has gone into ADModify to support the various exchange attributes. I have not included any support for exchange attributes in Bulk Modify.
    • ADModify provides a command line tool called ADModcmd.exe. Bulk Modify does not include a command line utility.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Hmm. I was going to classify this as an illegal advert (well, some of it IS!), but it's not exactly advertising if it is a freebie.

PM Sent.
    You can be forgiven for thinking that this post was spam from a company advertising on your forums - you probably get sick of people spamming your forums.

My website is a free resource - with tools and scripts to help system admins. It's my own personal website - only me working on it and developing the apps. I've just added an option for people to add their own scripts - hopefully this will help improve my site as a resource for system admins.

Sometimes people are put off by the registration - this simply allows me to keep track of how many people are using my apps etc. It also provides a method for people to communicate with me and for me to send an email occasionally to inform people of updates. If you check the homepage you can see the last newsletter I sent - October 2007. I'll probably be sending another email out shortly to inform people about "Bulk Modify".

The main reason I'm posting on these forums is because I used to be an IT technician for a college about 4 1/2 years ago (I now work as a DBA for a private company). Most of the apps were developed when I was working at the college (with only me developing them some haven't changed much since then)

Thank Post
    The current version of Password Control was recently reviewed on www.schooltechnician.co.uk

The review also gives a nice overview of how to use the app. Just thought I'd mention this as the site might be of interest to people on these forums. My thanks to Terry Watts for writing this very favourable review.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks a good app, when i took a look on the website i got some errors.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 9th February 2008 at 04:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Looks a good app, when i took a look on the website i got some errors.
    I've had a couple of problems with my hosting provider recently. I've been migrated to a new server so hopefully this will improve the situation. Please try again.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seems fine now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Can this tool edit the location information on computer accounts please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Hi

Can this tool edit the location information on computer accounts please?

Thanks
    This tool is only designed for user accounts. I might add support for other AD object types in future versions.

Thank Post
    The release version is now available!!

WiseSoft - Password Control. Active Directory Password Reset Tool.

I hope you find it useful.

PS

Active Directory backups are still recommended before making any type of bulk change - via script or with this app.

15. 2 Thanks to Wiseman82:

alonebfg (19th May 2008), Netman (21st April 2008)

Thank Post

Display name

Hi there,

Does this tool allow existing user accounts' display name to be modified i.e. say that we have Joe Bloggs where Joe is the first name and Bloggs is the lastname (in a first name lastname style), it is now possible to modify so it add or appends the word (student) after the name so it looks like Joe Bloggs (student) including the brackets?

I'm not sure if this can be done with admodify but this would ideal for us.

TIA,

Ash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast