+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, DHCP managing 2 ranges in Technical; When I inherited my networks they all were on static ips. When i've added network printers, APs etc I tried ...

Thank Post

DHCP managing 2 ranges

When I inherited my networks they all were on static ips.

When i've added network printers, APs etc I tried to give them high or low address e.g. 10.1.2.252 or 10.1.2.5 etc.

When I moved to DHCP I just set DHCP Server to a range like 10.1.2.100-199 and left printers/APs alone with their statics.

I've had a bit of a bad year with HP2600s wandering off into IP neverland so I thought to use reservations but the exising IP's are outside current ranges so I thought I'd just add another range for my static devices and put reservations in there.

But I can''t see where to do this (and I get errors when I try!).

Can I add another range like what I'm talking about (scope -superscope???)
    W2k3 servers here.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Si - yes you can ad a new range to the DHCP server. I have done just this about 8 months ago.
    The important things to remember are:-

The new range should be in the next subnet above i.e i was using xx.xx.64.xx I needed to add the xx.xx.65.range to DHCP.

Next remember to change your subnet mask to 255.255.254.0 as you are now using two subnets.

Tried superscopes and couldn't get it to work so I chose a quiet moment deleted the old scope and rebuilt it a a single new scope incorporating both IP ranges.
    I can't for the life of me remember where I reset the sub mask settings and I don't think the head of IT would be pleased if I experiment now (it is INSPECTION week) but it could be an option when you build the scope.
    Cheers

Peter

Thank Post
    extend out your existing scope and then add reservations, ie: extend the scope to 220 and then make sure the last 20 are reserved addresses.

Thank Post
    @hedgehog
    Thanks but I just want another range of address within a /24 subnet that I can just use for my static ip's - I can then add the MAC addresses of the devices as reservations and then if they decide that they can't live without DHCP - they'll automagically get their own old static address assigned to them.

@Kyle
    Yes - that's the easy way but I'm worried that I've still got some computers (teacher laptops in particular) with static ip's lurking around in no-mans land (e.g outside of x.x.x.100-199)

I suppose I could extend to the ranges and exclude all addresses I'm worried about and then reserve the ones I know (and documented 4 years ago )

But I just thought it should be easy to have 2 or more ranges within the one subnet.

The simple Win98 Static DHCP server prog that I use on my Win98 "servers" does this easily - just edit the ini file and add on another pool e.g

pool_1 10.1.2.100-199
    pool_2 10.1.2.5-20

so I thought w2k3 should be able to do this as well - it probably does but I can't seem to find a way that doesn't give an error

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Having returned to this school I was trying to extend range at same time deleting leases that were popping up as pupils/teachers came in so I just tried again to adda reservation outside the scope ip range and it seems to work this time

Probably didn't refresh the display enough times last time!

I'll just leave it again till next time and see if if works out.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    In much the same situation with a couple of schools and think I'm going to adopt the spring clean approach to the problem over the easter break...

I figure if I completely reorganise everything with a range for all printservers, printers, APs, etc... I can then have free up the other range for workstations and document the whole thing properly.

Two days work I expect but worth it in the long run...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread