+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, 3Com wireless network access points? in Technical; Over the summer all our network was upgraded to 3Com. We now need to install some wireless kit for certain ...
    Thank Post

Question 3Com wireless network access points?

Over the summer all our network was upgraded to 3Com. We now need to install some wireless kit for certain areas of the school. I would like to keep it all 3COm across the network but wondered if anyone here is using 3Com Aces points and what you recommendations and Do's and Don'ts are?

Thank Post
    Are you using a 3com managed wireless switch?

Thank Post
    We use the 3Com Wireless Controller. It works very nicely but does cost, however the new unified switch looks a nice options as it includes 24 POE ports. If you go for the managed solution you will need to fork out for the Wlan management software but I think its a license for managing upto 10 controllers.

If you have a couple of these around the site you can connect them together to create a wlan domain to enable roaming between the two.

One last important note:

If you have any Intel 2200BG wireless cards around the school make sure the drivers are up to date as the older drivers dropped connection from the 3Com WLAN a bit too often.

Aalborg, Denmark (formerly West Midlands, UK)
    Thank Post
    At my old place we originally deployed 3Com 7250s, working as "fat" APs before the Trapeze solution was available. Luckily, they are supported by the new system with a simple firmware change, with the constraint that MAP-to-switch encryption is not supported as those APs do not have the necessary hardware. The new system is a whole lot easier to manage than the old one, although the 3Com engineer did not want to touch the RF-planning aspect. I guess their engineers haven't been properly trained in it yet.

Thank Post
    We use the 3COM Controller and software with a 24 Access point license.

We use the 3150 Access points and let the controller determine the signal strength for each access point.

Of Note, we are using Dell D531 Laptops, and we found that you need to lower the sensitivity of the laptops so they connected 100% of the time, and not just 90% of the time.....

It seems that the Laptops was being overwhelmed by the signal in some spots and could not decide what AP to connect to.

We are about to expand the wireless throughout the school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chaz6 View Post
    The new system is a whole lot easier to manage than the old one, although the 3Com engineer did not want to touch the RF-planning aspect. I guess their engineers haven't been properly trained in it yet.
    The planning side of this is pretty straight forward, its all done using a wizard.

PM me if you need some help.

Thank Post
    Im quite interested in this Trapeze solution mentioned earlier? We have a WX4400 controller which is many years old now and no longer supported - anyone know the likelihood of being able to replace this with something more modern without having to update all 100+ of our 3com AP2750 AP's?

bio
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Im quite interested in this Trapeze solution mentioned earlier? We have a WX4400 controller which is many years old now and no longer supported - anyone know the likelihood of being able to replace this with something more modern without having to update all 100+ of our 3com AP2750 AP's?
    Your WX4400 is a trapeze solution internally. The WX2200 as well (we have that one) ..We have 3750 and 3850 AP's. But for the n draft you'll need the 3950

bio..

9. Thanks to bio from:

Oops_my_bad (17th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Also, you would be better sticking with 3Com, as you might be able to get your licences from your 'old' WX4400 moved accross to a WX2200.

11. Thanks to _BC_ from:

Oops_my_bad (17th February 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm having major problems with a WX3024 we bought recently. Trying to attach to it a AP9152 on fit mode and the AP reboots all the time. The WX someone sees it because it pushes the fit module to the AP every time it starts, but then on the web interface of the WX, the AP appears as off and I can't manage it.
    This is driving me crazy. Already got a call open with 3Com but they still havent' reply back.
    Have you guys had similar problems configuring unified 3com wireless??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Wes
    Thank Post
    the 3com solution is now H3C based products (their chinese joint venture company that has been leading 3com R&D for the last 3 years) so they have dumped the Trapeze kit they were rebadging. If you have WX controllers and 2750s then you don't have an upgrade path I'm afraid. Even the 3950 mentioned as an N product has been made end of life as of 31.4.10. The recommended upgrade is 3CRWE9552A75-UK according to 3com but this is H3C kit which only works withthe H3C controllers (30xx or 50xx series). I have a lot of spare 2750s if you need to keep it running or expand what you have.

bio
    Thank Post
    The 3com wx series are no longer supported. You might give trapeze a call, i think its possible to refurbish some of the old 3com AP with trapeze controllers and fw.

bio..

Wes
    Thank Post
    The WX2200/1200 etc is supported (3com's limited lifetime warranty covers 5 years support after end of sale, which was April 2010). The new H3C controllers are also called WX so it's not as clear cut as to say that WX is no longer supported.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread